The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mystery engine number
Hi - my first post on this forum and a newbie to the world of A7s so please be gentle with me!

I am collecting bits to build an Ulster Special and have recently acquired an engine. However its number (AND 535) seems to be a bit unusual as I understand that they are normally of the format Mnnnnnn.
Can anyone help identify it please?

Thanks
Colin

sorry, meant to say AND 935

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

post a few more photos of the whole casting?
Possibly from auxiliary equipment - generator, water pump, or similar? 

A for auxiliary?? It certainly looks like a Longbridge stamp.
This previous discussion refers...

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...5&cmd=show
Many thanks - that seems to explain the mystery! i haven't yet taken the sump off so don't know if its two or three bearing and if it will be suitable for my low frame chassis. I will take some photos (once it stops raining!)
Is it not the 3 bearing engine that was on ebay recently ??? and yes I struggled with the engine number, !!!
My special has engine no. AND1102 which has a 3 bearing crank. I was led to believe this was a marine or similar engine.
You should be able to see the difference without taking the sump off - the three bearing crank has a big centre bearing:

[Image: s-l400.jpg]

whereas the two bearing crank is simpler with just a small counterweight in the centre:

[Image: R.f47665d2b2ec882cb09c5efa0080cb43?rik=6...ImgRaw&r=0]
If there is a bolt head near the fuel pump mounting in the centre of the crankcase then it is 3 bearing.
Probably not the best engine for an Ulster rep !!!!
Can you explain why it's not suitable please?