The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As One Door Closes, Another One Opens
I’m sure there is a Chic Murray joke just hiding in there.
Ruby’s drivers door has embarrassingly come open on occasions, but that’s always been my fault for not ensuring the the catch was fully engaged.
I never slam my doors, always close by turning the handle and applying sufficient pressure to engage the catch, then check the inside lever is truly set vertical. Always close the passenger door myself for whoever is with me.
My daughter in law has only had one ride in my Ruby because (and I blame myself for not checking the door) She closed the door by pulling on the cord/chain which opens the door this stopped the catch latching correctly. First right hand ‘T’ junction and it flew open. She was not impressed when I was more concerned about the door than her.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Contrary to others, I always slam the doors on the box to make sure they are properly closed!

I have all new rubbers buffers and have set up the latches properly, so they close with a satisfying clunk and won’t fly open.

With the Chummy, it was a different story, I always closed the door with the handle in the op3n position, released the handle and pulled it to ensure the latch had engaged...slamming those doors simply didn’t work.
Some years ago myself and some of the other instructors had a day with the off-road guys at Land-Rover, Solihull. One of their tests to see whether the side tilt was within acceptable limits was to open the door on the side nearest the ground. The instruction was that if you could open the door 4", it was fine. If you couldn't it was because the truck had fallen over....
My first BSA three-wheeler had a drooping tail, a fairly common problem with the model and I didn't realise how critical this was until I'd finished sorting it out. It was a runner with a recond. engine, gearbox and drive train etc., so it only needed upholstery, paint, soft top and widescreens and general finishing. 
On my first test drive I discovered that taking a left hand bed required elbow work for the driver to keep the door from flying open. I did attend to the problem before taking Pam out for a run, a bit difficult to persuade the passenger to keep an elbow over the door edge when taking a right-hander!

Further to my earlier comment on the "suicide " doors on Top Hats, the AMCo must have realised the potential danger and so fitted these very substantial catches.
(Sorry about the orientation!)
For those who are broad minded enough to enjoy "the opposition" here's one from their excellent Poty competition (Photo Of The Year) 2018 POTY Competition – Pre-War Minor Network (prewarminor.com) :

I failed to point out to a young passenger in my Ruby that the loop was not an elbow rest, which resulted in a hairy moment negotiating a roundabout.
I am amazed by the number of passengers in my Ruby who will attempt to close the door by pulling on the opening chain. Being a mechanical engineer, I would never attempt to pull a heavy door closed using such a flimsy chain when there is a sturdy handle provided at just the right position on the door. For new passengers, I now realise that I have to supervise their door closure.