The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As One Door Closes, Another One Opens
I have spent quite a lot of time making sure this doesn't happen on my Ruby - as seen in the 1920s comedy films - by fettling the fit of the doors and making sure the door-catches are lubricated and work every time.  When we shut the door, it needs to stay shut - and when the passenger shuts the door, likewise.  

Many cars have drooping doors which doesn't help, and many have old wood in the doors that has seen better days.  How well do your latches work?
Very well - after stripping, cleaning and minimal lubrication with LM grease, but as sole driver I insist upon checking both of them as being firmly closed, and of course NEVER ever slam them shut.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Hi

I did a Good Samaritan deed with a guy a while back.  He wanted a ride in a Seven to remember what it was like when he owned one in the 60s.  I didn’t check his door and his cardigan had got trapped stopping the door from shutting fully.  Flew open about a couple of miles into the run!!!

Now I check the door catches and lock them every trip!

Cheers

Howard
I nearly deposited my mother-in-law on the road from the passenger seat of my A35 van pulling out of a T-junction... the only time the doors ever flew open on my ORT was the first MOT, when the tester jacked it up amidships to check the rear wheel bearings. He was more embarrassed than me. Fortunately he didn't manage to break its back.
I had the reverse problem with the RP's passenger door - it used to stick shut and would require a good shove to open! It took a good bit of messing about with the hinges to get it to stop doing it.Both doors now open easily and close properly with a satisfying click. They still don't quite line up with the centre moulding, but I haven't ever had them pop open on the move.
Yes, you want to try it with an older 2CV with suicide doors - They act more like air brakes on a plane !! And don't improve your bodywork !
(28-10-2022, 07:31 AM)bob46320 Wrote: Yes, you want to try it with an older 2CV with suicide doors - They act more like air brakes on a plane !! And don't improve your bodywork !

Top Hat saloons show very similar characteristics!
This is the scene I was thinking of - from 'The Plank' 1967 with Eric Sykes...

.jpg   The Plank 1967 Eric Sykes.jpg (Size: 119.97 KB / Downloads: 299)

Looks like a Standard Flying Eight - suicide doors helping to make the point.
Morris 8 Series E

Steve
It's nothing new. I can remember when most car spares shops used to sell a bolt that you could fasten on the inside of the door to keep it shut. It was all just part of life's great tapestry. I fell out of my parent's Standard 10 when I was a wee boy (the car was stationary at traffic lights on Glasgow's Buchanan St at the time). Fortunately I landed on my head so didn't do any permanent damage.