The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake linings
Hi Colin,

This has been discussed on the forum before as I remember measuring my stock of old linings. It might be worth searching for it.

Like you I was delighted with the service from Saftek but I found the linings slightly too thick (semi Girling brakes, everything standard) and had to make up a jig to machine a small amount off. I can't remember the figures but perhaps no more than 10 or 15 thou. There was some variation in the thickness along each lining so it gave me a chance to even them up and help the bedding-in process.

I don't know how the friction compares with old asbestos linings but my impression is that they're not quite as effective.
Hi Peter,

The bonded liners I had previously from Saftec comprised a softish black material, 3.5mm thick.  These seem to work well in terms of friction.  However, even these needed a small amount taking off on fitting to get the drums back on - I used emery cloth with the shoes in situ, which took a little while, even though not very much had to be removed. 

The new linings received last week are a light grey woven material with metal threads, 5mm think.  But these are destined for the front brakes, so the fit might be different from the back - hopefully, I won't have to take off 1.5mm - that would be a machining job.  As I don't want to disturb the current linings until necessary, all will be revealed if/when I come to fit them in due course when the current set are down to the rivets.

Edit: I wonder, does 4.8mm sound right for the later steel shoes, please? Do we need them to be as thick as that, they last for ages anyway?