The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake linings
Before 'the big rally' I hastily fitted new brake linings to my 7. Unfortunately I broke a corner off one lining it being the type that appeared to be made of some kind of compressed compound. I had to compromise with some woven linings added ---  the mixture hardly being a professional job! Now I am about to redress my sins, I would like a concensus as to whether the woven or compound-type linings are best ie. give the most friction? I broke the corner trying to get the last rivet pushed in so again if there is a recommended sequence I would appreciate it. Another option might be shoes with bonded linings; can I buy such a thing?
Thanks, Nick
I have used this company for bonded linings on A7 and pre-war MG and they are first class. And very reasonable with their prices.

https://www.autoandindustrial.co.uk/
Hi Nick

I think bonded lining are the way to go. 

I use these 

https://saftek.co.uk/friction-products-f...lications/

Good service and quick turn around. Although I have read some negative comments when used with hydraulic conversions.

Cheers

Howard
Having had moulded linings crack in service, with consequent braking issues, I now use woven linings, rivetted from the centre out and chamfered at the ends. Seems to work for me, but then, I am running a standard car for road use.
I had a number of molded linings brake up so I have now changed to saftek green gripper woven linings. I fit them myself riveted over epoxy.

Works well
Photos of another set of bonded linings that failed this month, and then destroyed the shoe itself - now removed and fitted with riveted linings.

An earlier, but similar incident, with bonded linings on a rear axle resulted in the car flipping over as the rear wheel locked solid.

I use the blue grey riveted linings with success and also the biscuit coloured riveted linings. Both work well but the biscuit type do often squeal.

Linings will break up if the rivet has been over tightened or contaminated.
I am a big fan of "Green Grippa" from Saftec - never ever been disappointed.

I always have them rivet and bond the liners on aluminium shoes - very important.

You cannot goes wrong with this combination and you will have great brakes.
Hi Ruairidh 

That’s a worrying report.  Do you have any idea why bonding causes the lining to break up?  Also were both the failures in pressed linings or was the other failure in a woven lining?

I’m currently running pressed linings riveted to the shoes on the Special but bonded “green gripper” on the RK.  I have a set of “green gripper” Safetec bonded linings ready to fit to the Special but you’ve now got me worried.

Cheers

Howard
I have not heard of any failings, whatsoever, with Safetec.

The failure is in the bond between the lining and the shoe, not the lining. It detaches, gets caught on the next shoe and then causes the shoe to split, under braking.

Choose your bonder carefully, if that is the way you choose to go.
Thanks Ruairidh 

Howard