The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake linings
Several of the riveted shoes I've seen are cracked from the rivet hole out,due to over enthusiastic riveting/hammering up I'd guess.
Maybe send the shoes to Australia for bonding- we have been doing this for 40 years with very few failures  Rolleyes
I can second Nick Salmon’s earlier suggestion. I’ve had several sets of shoes relined by them and am very happy with result.
Thank you all for the trouble and answers. A very interesting response. I will probably go the 'Safetec' way but in about 1 month; such is life.
Nice to hear from you Nick (Turley): with new linings if I start braking as I leave Norwich for Yarmouth I should manage to stop by Acle!!
A nice enough place to stop, Acle.
I used Auto & Industrial a few years ago for bonded shoes on the front of our RN and I found them good value and efficient. 

I am convinced that bonding is the way to go.
I posted a set of brake shoes to Saftek on Tuesday. I received a phone call this morning (Thursday) telling me they are done and being returned.
An excellent product and great service.
Jim
I have just received a set of steel brake shoes back from Saftec with new bonded liners. Quick service. However, the liners look very thick and measure 5mm.

Previously liners from Saftec have been 3.5mm thick - and I seem to remember that they required the full adjustment of the Girling adjuster when putting the drum back on. (This was on a full Girling very late axle.)

So, at 5mm, are the linings likely to be too thick, please? - the extra depth could stopping the drum from being refitted even at the maximum adjustment?
(12-11-2022, 09:35 AM)Colin Morgan Wrote: I have just received a set of steel brake shoes back from Saftec with new bonded liners.  Quick service.  However, the liners look very thick and measure 5mm. 

Previously liners from Saftec have been 3.5mm thick - and I seem to remember that they required the full adjustment of the Girling adjuster when putting the drum back on.  (This was on a full Girling very late axle.)

So, at 5mm, are the linings likely to be too thick, please? - the extra depth could stopping the drum from being refitted even at the maximum adjustment?

Hi Colin

I queried this with Safetec a while back and had this response

“Most of the Austin Seven shoes list 3/16” (4.8mm) as standard thickness. The exception being late 1930  shoes which list as 5/32 (4mm)”

I’ve fitted Safetec lined shoes to both standard Austin and Semi Girling axles without problem.

Hope this helps

Howard

Howard
Hi Howard,

Thank you - that is very useful.

However, they do look thicker than I have seen before. It is possible that I struggled with 3.5mm linings because the brake drums were lined at sometime because they are a rare type - larger late hub but with dowels still fitted - hopefully this won't be repeated on the front, but I won't know until I try.

Colin