The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this really a 1925 A7 Speedometer?
In their day they were the fastest truck on the road. They were aware of the 20 mph limit and the knowledgeable drivers had a mirror set at floor level to look back between the chassis members to look out for police motorcycles pacing them which they had to do before speed cameras. One policeman in Keighley was spotted behind a Sentinel and the driver clapped the brakes on, the policeman and bike went under the Sentinel.
(05-08-2022, 08:42 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Did anyone tell Sentinel drivers that they were restricted to 20mph? Having come up behind one at a roundabout, as the Ruby got up to an indicated 45 mph, the Sentinel continued to accelerate and pulled away.

The Sentinel diesels I found to be terribly pedestrian things, I've ridden in a few.

The S types steamers however go like stink once the superheater is up to temp. 4 cylinder single acting simple engine. 255psi, the superheater coils glow orange when going really well. Shaft drive with a huge prop shaft which is almost a 24inch scale model of a Nippy one, with an early shrouded spicer joint at each end. The earlier chain drive jobs, of whatever type would struggle to hit 30 however. Father had one for a spell. 

The black one which sometimes lives round here is usually driven by its glaswegian co owner (Peter). My mate Brian had a go at the controls once with Peter stoking. Brian says he got an indicated 60mph out of it (so they cant have speedos like this). He said Peter leaned over and shouted to him ''Brian, yooou'd no be going this faast if ye knew hou baaad the front tires are'' - 40 x 8 on split rims. Peters accent is so thick he sometimes needs subtitles and I think it was said more in jest than anything, but it was 10years ago and its since been reshod with the 'Octapuss Tenticle' Goodrich jobs. Its a 6 wheeler, so 10 tyres plus a spare. New tyres are approx £1k a pop, so those of you who want a law requiring 'all tyres' to be less than 10 years old need to be carefull what you wish for.....
(05-08-2022, 08:57 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: In their day they were the fastest truck on the road. They were aware of the 20 mph limit and the knowledgeable drivers had a mirror set at floor level to look back between the chassis members to look out for police motorcycles pacing them which they had to do before speed cameras. One policeman in Keighley was spotted behind a Sentinel and the driver clapped the brakes on, the policeman and bike went under the Sentinel.

Which reminds me....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)