The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this really a 1925 A7 Speedometer?
Is this really a 1925 A7 Speedometer?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=...r&_sacat=0

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Simple answer to your question - No.

Not only that, it won't fit; a 1925 chummy will have a belt-driven cable which will require the speedo drive to be at a 45° angle.

It looks like it's from a commercial vehicle, the A/42 marking may possibly indicate of military origin.
(04-08-2022, 01:00 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Simple answer to your question - No.

Not only that, it won't fit; a 1925 chummy will have a belt-driven cable which will require the speedo drive to be at a 45° angle.

It looks like it's from a commercial vehicle, the A/42 marking may possibly indicate of military origin.
I rather suspected as much!
Not only is it not Austin Seven, and I am open to being corrected, but I doubt if any genuine vintage car speedo has a maximum dial speed of 40 mph.

Quite apart from that, the threads for the cable connection are showing some damage, and the casing screws appear to have been a bit badly treated, suggesting the unit may have been tampered with, perhaps multiple times.

£299, really?
the recently rebuilt PA in my saloon developed a death rattle not long after fitment, on the way back from Foxfield earlier this year. Turns out those screws had undone and 2 had fallen out. The guts were rattling in the case.

Thank heavens for spares, parricularly when I found that there are at least 2 different types of screws.

Thankfully the third speedo I picked up was the same as the one in the car. I robbed one screw from that and found another on the floor of the car
I was also most puzzled by what it recorded. Not merely a maximum of 40 mph, but an odometer only in double figures, plus tenths of a mile. Seems highly unlikely that any commercial vehicle would never expect to do more than a hundred miles on a day, let alone a week. A formal record of trip distance for a taxi or similar would require more visible figures. Maybe very slow local outings, on a railway mechanical horse perhaps, any forumists with access to a three wheeled Scammel? I know owners of a Crossley van in GWR livery and an Austin 10 van, so will make enquiries as to their instruments. Enough of the keyboard anorak, the workshop calls.
All commercial vehicles were restricted to 20mph, so unless it was used for long-distance haulage the total mileage for a full day's work is unlikely to exceed 100 miles.
My immediate reaction when I saw this was 'Commercial' I have come across similar that are all limited to a maximum of 40mph. There were, as Mike suggests, plenty of military vehicles that would have had such instruments fitted...
L T C Rolt recorded 69 miles in 3 Hours 40 minutes in the first diesel lorry made by Kerr Stuart on it's first test run to Lichfield and back on 18 March 1929 with a maximum speed of 29 mph. On it's eighth test run on 9 April to Manchester and back it covered 79 miles.
Did anyone tell Sentinel drivers that they were restricted to 20mph? Having come up behind one at a roundabout, as the Ruby got up to an indicated 45 mph, the Sentinel continued to accelerate and pulled away.