The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Model B Coupe
Don't get my critique wrong guys, its a nice car. I've essentially done the same with my grey RL saloon - put what is an original body on a rolling chassis.

Take my critique as what your friend should tell you if you were going to buy it.

Actually I think the age related plate more accurately reflects what it is in my opinion. A super body on what appears (to me at least) mostly appropriate running gear, rather than wholly appropriate running gear. I would like to think that the obvious age related plate would mean that prospective buyers would look a bit harder. With the previous reg it all seemed to fit nicely and was more likely to fool someone. Though looking at facebook, I'm not so sure all vintage enthusiasts can spot all age related plates.

However that dicky 'car number' that clearly doesn't belong is the major concern, If it were a modern car, you wouldn't touch it with a barge pole as it would be considered a 'ringer'. Indeed 'plod' and the DVLA would get involved at some point. With a vintage car lots of 'stuff' went on back in the day, stuff now people consider bad form, indeed perhaps some might consider it illegal. Then there is ov course clerical errors etc. Something like this is what's gone on here, caused no one any harm, perhaps someone simply 'blagged' a nice number for a nice car?. Perhaps it was simply a clerical error somewhere in the depths of the past, who knows. All that said - the issue clearly affects value, as does the now issued age related plate.

The problem is people need to be honest, and honesty is something not a lot of 2nd hand car salesmen sell a lot of. Vintage ones included.

With respect to honesty, if you have what is allegedly an AF tourer - reg SV 554 (previously UU2386) I've still got the chassis plate that came off the body I have on my car, that was removed from you car.!. Its no use to me....
I think perhaps it has all turned out right in the end...the car is an attractive replica of a coupe that lost its last chance of credibility by being robbed of a period registration number which should make it clear to any potential purchaser to be sure what he or she is buying.

The dodgy car number, together with all the other inconsistencies would put me off and I would always feel I was driving a ringer, but at the right price I think it will be a lovely little car for someone who is not concerned about these things.
This much discussed Coupé has been back on ebay for a while - as yet unsold.  

Interestingly, elsewhere on the site, someone is selling a couple of old slides of this car, showing its original number plate.  I wonder when they were taken?  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256271832589
Hi Colin

I think a lot has been said about this car already but I’ve just noticed a few things on its eBay listing that amuse me.

It has a lovely polished DJ4 distributor which is not connected to the advance and retard levers.  Quite how the car starts and then runs well is anyone’s guess.

Primer plugs were fitted to early cars but by 1929/30 they were long gone.  Particularly the weird taps on this car!

I’m not sure how the sliding windows are moved back and forth and the door pull is wrong!  As for the dash, don’t get me started.

A triumph of polishing over practicality  Smile.

Cheers

Howard

PS At half the price I’d be tempted even if it would cost me to put things right.