The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Beaulieu autojumble
I didn't get a chance to chat about the racer but just knew it was in the category of, 'If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it...' And Stuart has confirmed it...
(15-05-2022, 11:02 AM)John Cornforth Wrote: Hello All

As I live only 18 miles from Beaulieu (Lucky Boy), I usually go to both the spring and the main autojumble.  Took the Pearl down yesterday in the sunshine.  I'm not really looking for anything in particular, it's just a nice day out to soak up the atmosphere and have a chat.  Bought a few bits and bobs, so the saving on postage just about covered the twelve quid day ticket.

One thing that is noticable is the often "ambitious" pricing, I'm suspicious that 95% of this stuff will be taken back home to be tried next time.  I can't help wondering if there would actually be more profit to be made if things were priced to sell.  Enamel signs are a case in point, who is going to spend hundreds on a not particularly tasty sign that looks like it has been a target at Bisley for the last 30 years ?

When I do a quick scan of a stand, they mostly seem to fall into one of four categories:

New / New Surplus / Repro / Market Stall items
Glass cabinets with 12 items that the seller has had so long they have been polished to death
Completely rusty tat which is shovelled out and shovelled back
Interesting (That includes yours Tony B !)

Hi john,

It's a little sad you dont get it.

Although yes some of what you say is true. It not a bad thing.

It just sad you dont get it

On my part, I had a cracking weekend. In many ways record breaking for a spring beaulieu.Even though I came home early last night.

And yes I took home 80 to 85% of what I took, ( work out how much what I take on the stall is worth Big Grin)

If I work on percentages, the worst selling stuff on my stall was the NEW austin 7 spares. And that's why other new parts sellers dont attend anymore. BUT IF I DONT TAKE NEW SPARES. the austin seven people that do attend dont get the chance AT ALL. to get what they went for. It's one of those use it or loose it thing.

The best sellers were actually the boxes of 24 contact sets. NON AUSTIN 7 ITEM. I rescued them from heading for a skip. There are 1,000s of them in nice display boxes. And they cost me next to nothing. So they were being sold stoopidly cheap.

I sold alot of the rear and expensive austin 7 parts, but let's face it it's expensive for a reason. I CANT REPLACE IT. And YOU DONT COME AND SELL ME THESE REAR ITEM AS CHEAP AS YOU EXPECT me to sell them to you for.

The other side of beaulieu, and other events. For many of the stall holders. Is the same reason you went there for. A day out to soak up the atmosphere. And enjoy yourself. I have friends who stand a stall, what they sell in the main is not so special. They are not bothered what they sell or what they make. They enjoy the weekend, meet friends. Have a drink in the evening.

It is sad you dont get it, and find so much negative in it. But there you go, some people enjoy extract joy from the negative. 

Tony.
Hi Tony

Clearly my post came over as more negative than I intended !

I had a lovely day and I fully appreciate that there are all sorts of reasons why traders attend rather than the obvious one of selling items for a profit. Plenty of chatting, barbecues, beer etc in evidence.

And I was talking about the stands that interest me and me alone. Especially with the main Autojumble, there just isn't time to look at every stand so I have to do a rapid assessment as to whether to take a look or go on to the next one. By repro I mean repro "antiques" like tinplate signs for the man-cave, not the invaluable newly manufactured car spares.

I once did a lot of camping whilst helping out with school DofE expeditions, and remember how exhausting it was driving a long way, unpacking everything, setting up tents, and then reversing the whole procedure. I imagine running a stall is not dissimilar which is why I was curious about why people are prepared to lay stuff out and then take most of it back home.
Hi john,

You are right on the repro signs, I dont like it. But have to accept with all the empty spaces, these stalls are keeping the event going with the rest of us.

Obviously all the repro is made, because of the success of the originals. Just like ulsters.

Most prices on stalls are no more than we find on ebay.

I ebay we can wait for a cheap listing day of 2%

Fees for ME to stand spring beaulieu.

Pitch £75.00
B&B £148.00 (I take this nowadays for my helth) we are all getting older. I could only get this lower price because it was 24 miles away at Christchurch.
Diesel £95
There is alot more vehicle depreciation, food etc.

So it at least costs me £320 to stand

I dont know what people expect me to mark things up by. The contacts were something like 1million % there was bits I sold at a loss in clearance. I bought an item there for £320 and sold it there for £400 22% ish

Let's DREAM and say overall I double my money?

That means the first £640 of any sale, have to be done just to break even. And that's not taking in costs to buy it in in the first place.

All the time it took to do all this is only taken once you get over these figgers. So for all the hours I do I probably still end up working for £5.00 an our.

Sorry if things look expensive, they really ain't.

And the only reason you get to see these expensive items is because the stall holders there done all the leg work to find it for you.

I dont say any of this in a nasty way, and dont want it to be taken that way. But sometimes in life we just see the price tag, and not why that price tag is so large.

Tony.
It was a good day out. I managed to find a few spares for the Austin that I have been looking for for a while and made enquiries regarding new parts. I also found one stand with piles of riley 9 parts and A7 bits. Seemed to spend lots of time and money there. I thinks some of the stands make money form enquiries. I now know which inlet bits we need from the new engine and possibly some con rods if things work that way. I also got some quotes on some new wheels for another project.

Dad picked up some veteran bits but still could not find the stepney wheel he has been looking for for a while. If anyone has a 21" stepney happy to talk.
Tony,

Your trapezium shaped tank. Have one here amongst fathers stuff. I have always assumed it to be a motorcycle accessory for oil fuel as required. Is this the case? or am I mistaken?.

Not been to Beaulieu with a stall since I was in my teens, and it was a mission then. Sleeping the night before in a carpark in one of the new forest villages (in a caravan), then somewhere near Cirencester on the way home. Dad packed it in when he realised he sold more at VSCC Olton Park.
Good morning.  I fully concur with Tony Betts' comments. I used to do 5+ autojumbles per year but now other than the Centenary event wont be doing any unless my son can convince me to change my mind about Beaulieu in September.

Profit was never my overriding principle, I was happy to break even. The key feature was the opportunity to meet fellow enthusiasts and for potential purchasers to see what they are buying (I have been disappointed with many on-line buys). The opportunity to offer advice and the number of follow-up calls made it worthwhile. Autojumbles also offered the opportunity for me to buy lamps and parts for re-furbishment but increasingly I was not finding anything.

So, like Tony I am devoting my time to working on my own cars.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire.
Hi hedd,

I beleive they are aftermarket accessories for the ruby bulkhead? But my intention is to try fit it into a future special build.

Always good to see stuart and his lad there. Hope you are back in september.

I know I cant give full reasons for prices in one thread, it would be a mile long.

But I bought some bits a month ago from a local club member, there were 2 nice petrol gauges I paid £25 each. ALL OF THE RISK if they work or not is might. They tested ok. And both sold on saterday for £40 each.

I've also been offered some stuff in Kent, I'll have to pay a sensible price. So my money is on the shelf until it sells. If things dont work or are cracked etc ALL OF THE RISK IS MINE. And only a small amount of what is bought is good quality,  I'll have to pay the £120 in durv to get there and back.

So I really dont see were prices are high.

What I think the real problem is here, is people see prices on the day they buy a seven. And dont think they should ever go up.
It looks like john came into sevens in 2002, so in his mind his expectancy of what prices should be are 20 years out of date.
Were the reality is it's not just YOUR gas and electric bill that went up by 50% last month. Or even YOUR petrol/durv bill that has risen by 60p a littre in a month. Its everyone's.

EVERY business in the country has just been hit with that, and like myself they are left with the choice, PUT PRICES UP or if you feel you cant sell at a higher price. STOP MAKING IT ALTOGETHER.

For 50% of what I make, it's the latter choose of the two.

This is why, when I picked up the ulster engines block earlier. I wasnt complaining about the cost. I was overly thankful those business are still there in the seven world. Giving prompt quality and service.

Tony.
Wow Tony

I really seem to have inadvertently touched a nerve by mentioning prices !

Just for the record, I have NEVER complained about the cost of A7 stuff, which is cheaper than it has a right to be. And I'm certainly not one of the grumblers who still expect good crankcases to turn up for two and sixpence. So it's a bit rich to say my price expectancy is 20 years out of date !

My light hearted observations were about other items, and if they don't sell and go back home multiple times it rather shows that they were overpriced or they are waiting for the market to catch up.
Hi Tony, I get what your saying and it’s good that we have people like yourself to go to for bits along with the other cherished suppliers to keep our cars and hobby on the road. We can all go back to years ago when prices were different but like you say nice stuff is harder to come across now. It’s simple really if you want it then you have to pay for it. Dad and Bob used to go to the September Beaulieu every year but I guess if your not restoring or building a car it’s a long way to go and expense just to have a browse around. They have talked about going again in the future but no doubt they would notice a change to how it was back when they went. I’d like to thank you for all you do to advice and spares your always on hand and always in my eyes been fairly priced. Thanks Tony and I’m glad you’ve got your block back for the super sports.