The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As a child, who built one of these?
Mine can be seen in the left hand corner of this picture.

As father was a part time scrap dealer, wheels and axles were never a problem, those being ex Silver Cross Perambulator wheels.

There was an earlier version knocking bout somewhere too, hot rod style with small fronts and larger wheels. Made from a plank and a wooden box.

Unfortunately father also used to use it to bring a lot of the larger scrap into the back yard as the transit wouldnt fit down the alleyway, so it was often heavily loaded with car batteries, sacks of copper, gearboxes and the like. That was before the 4 wheel trailer under my RL body appeared. It got a rest from then on. 

The yard is quite tidy there, usually it was piled high in scrap metal.
The American child didn't settle for the little single-seater:

.jpg   SHORPY-8a33864a.preview.jpg (Size: 119.33 KB / Downloads: 217)
(03-05-2022, 10:24 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: Mine was a bogey with shoe leather for brakes.

Luxury! We use 'ta dream o havin' brakes.  Big Grin
2022 - and the latest All-inclusive Soap Box

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am amazed how young children are now on balance bikes and complete bikes. I guess it removes any incentive to make a trolley, despite the surfeit of wheels now avilabale. (I picked up an abondoned childs bike for the chain and sprockets. The front forks were sheered off. The slope fom a motorway overbridge teminated in a T with a sheer concrete wall, completee with tyre marks. Poor rider!
The American boys obviously hard pressed for wheels. Prams tended to be passed down and sold not just scrapped as everything today.
I wonder how Hedd managed to get Boris into his back yard all those years ago... Tardis?
Old pushchair wheels make for good large toy wheels.
.jpg   img492.jpg (Size: 85.9 KB / Downloads: 91)
Mine was fitted with brakes if you call dragging a foot clad in a shoe on the road/pavement. Only to be in trouble when I got home for a ruined shoe.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(03-05-2022, 03:55 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: 2022 - and the latest All-inclusive Soap Box

Yes, I built one very similar to Tony's illustration on the chassis and running gear minus pedals but including the steering front axle, column and steering wheel of my early 1950's Tri-ang Willys Jeep pedal car identical to the one in the photo below found on the net. I simply cut all the steel bodywork off leaving the chassis. When I'd grown out of it, my mum gave it to a neighbours younger son.

.png   Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 20.32.40.png (Size: 559.34 KB / Downloads: 51)
I fitted mine with a handbrake that when pushed forwards rubbed on the right hand rear tyre.   Very similar to an Austin 7 system.  Needless to say the handbrake lever soon broke off under heavy braking.