The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As a child, who built one of these?
As a child, who built one of these? Click the image for a higher resolution copy.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Tony

Me!

Cheers

Howard
Hi Tony Me too We also made wooden scooters with old bearings for wheels. Fantastic noise over paving slabs.
The big pram wheels made the best trolleys.
Big pram wheels at the back, smaller pushchair at the front, 1959 IIRC, I'd been given a copy of "A Boys' Book of Things to Make and Do" for my ninth birthday and I still have the book to this day.

I had very few tools and no help but it worked, didn't have brakes or a fancy seatback but went well and was the only one in my gang of pals.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-05-2022, 04:49 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Big pram wheels at the back, smaller pushchair at the front, 1959 IIRC, I'd been given a copy of "A Boys' Book of Things to Make and Do" for my ninth birthday and I still have the book to this day.

I had very few tools and no help but it worked, didn't have brakes or a fancy seatback but went well and was the only one in my gang of pals.

Great book! A brake, to cope with where I lived on a steep Sheffield hill, was more than essential.
I did eventually fit a simplified brake out of terror! A great book, I did many of the projects and experiments but didn’t wear the flannels and shirt and tie worn by the models on the pages!
Sound basics in woodwork, steam generation, simple electrics, OS map reading, bicycle maintenance and camping, I’m still using those skills 60+ years later!
The best wheels if you could get them were front wheels from an adult wheel chair. They were fitted with very good ball bearing races. The added benefit was that the trolly (Some people had other names for them such as Soap boxes.) was low and therefore had a low sense of gravity. Much better for cornering.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I still have the scars to prove it
Alan Fairless
I "helped " my uncle build mine ,I could have been about 10.The axles (from my pram )held on with about 50 bent nails each .The hole for the steering pivot burnt though with a poker from the coal fire.
Me and a friend used to race around the local park trying to avoid running into the park keeper !