The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Austin 7 Van in WW2
For those unenamoured of Facebook, here's an interesting post. Click the picture to get a readable version:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In the 1950s, as was common at the time,  we lived in the modified garage whilst our new house was built. We used the bath etc at my grandmothers house 1/4 mile away. So the Seven ran many  times back and forth.  The cat could hear it almost as soon  as it set off and setled on the bonnet as soon as it stopped.
It would be interesting to know more of the prisoners, what news they were told, and of their attitudes throughout. Wonder what they would have made of Dads Army if it had been available....
Very obvious evidence in the picture of the weakness of the RP running boards!
Edmund has an RP.

I was me who told him where the van is now.
Interesting that it is already showing signs of rot at the base of the B-pillar.
Bob,

A total of around 400,000 German prisoners were interned in Great Britain during WW11, mostly in camps with the authorities reluctant to integrate them into society. However toward the end of 1945 70,000 were allowed to work. After the war around 25,000 remained not wishing to return to a shattered and divided Germany.
By contrast the 1000,000 Italian prisoners were very compliant, given greater freedom and mixed easily with the community, working mainly in agriculture. ( I remember two who stayed, living in our village in 1950. Autumn saw them plum picking but unfortunately one was colour blind which didn't help! ) )
I'm sure most ordinary German prisoners were pleased to be captives, out of the horrors and being well looked. Not so some of the Nazi fanatics and high ranking officers. It is well known that our authorities installed listening devices in their quarters. Moles were also placed amongst them to glean any information to assist us win the conflict.
(29-10-2021, 08:54 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(29-10-2021, 05:40 PM)dickie65 Wrote: Hi Folks,
Austin Sevens are well suited to green laning.
I have even taken the EB65 down a few interesting sections in Cornwall Devon.

This is Pete Kukla and Andy Storer in PK's Cambridge Special (mid-1970s, before he painted it fire-engine red) mucking about on a Derbyshire hill known as Johnnygate; we were shortly joined by a couple in a Landrover who were 'practising' before setting out on a round-the-world adventure. The couldn't understand how we could get to places the Landrover couldn't!

(23-02-2022, 04:11 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: In the 1950s, as was common at the time,  we lived in the modified garage whilst our new house was built. We used the bath etc at my grandmothers house 1/4 mile away. So the Seven ran many  times back and forth.  The cat could hear it almost as soon  as it set off and setled on the bonnet as soon as it stopped.
It would be interesting to know more of the prisoners, what news they were told, and of their attitudes throughout. Wonder what they would have made of Dads Army if it had been available....
(24-02-2022, 10:04 AM)Chris Garner Wrote: Bob,

A total of around 400,000 German prisoners were interned in Great Britain during WW11, mostly in camps with the authorities reluctant to integrate them into society. However toward the end of 1945 70,000 were allowed to work. After the war around 25,000 remained not wishing to return to a shattered and divided Germany.
By contrast the 1000,000 Italian prisoners were very compliant, given greater freedom and mixed easily with the community, working mainly in agriculture. ( I remember two who stayed, living in our village in 1950. Autumn saw them plum picking but unfortunately one was colour blind which didn't help! ) )
I'm sure most ordinary German prisoners were pleased to be captives, out of the horrors and being well looked. Not so some of the Nazi fanatics and high ranking officers. It is well known that our authorities installed listening devices in their quarters. Moles were also placed amongst them to glean any information to assist us win the conflict.
(29-10-2021, 08:54 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(29-10-2021, 05:40 PM)dickie65 Wrote: Hi Folks,
Austin Sevens are well suited to green laning.
I have even taken the EB65 down a few interesting sections in Cornwall Devon.

This is Pete Kukla and Andy Storer in PK's Cambridge Special (mid-1970s, before he painted it fire-engine red) mucking about on a Derbyshire hill known as Johnnygate; we were shortly joined by a couple in a Landrover who were 'practising' before setting out on a round-the-world adventure. The couldn't understand how we could get to places the Landrover couldn't!

(23-02-2022, 04:11 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: In the 1950s, as was common at the time,  we lived in the modified garage whilst our new house was built. We used the bath etc at my grandmothers house 1/4 mile away. So the Seven ran many  times back and forth.  The cat could hear it almost as soon  as it set off and setled on the bonnet as soon as it stopped.

A wonderful book about captured German generals and the secrets they unwittingly revealed is: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Room-Secret-L...737&sr=8-1

Sadly, it's now a very silly price - and I gave my copy away some time ago.....