The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lord Austin's Signature
To compare: updated to include a letter to Stanley Edge.

Attached Files
.jpg   Austinsign.jpg (Size: 143.85 KB / Downloads: 423)
.jpg   Austinsign2.jpg (Size: 180.95 KB / Downloads: 272)
1 and 3 are close - the final is most likely the secretary as thought before Smile
The Stanley Edge Archive held by the A7CA contains several letters to Edge from Austin and which contain his signature. Enclosed is one.
.pdf   Edge - Austin Signature.pdf (Size: 922.38 KB / Downloads: 40)
Updated

Attached Files
.jpg   Austinsign2.jpg (Size: 180.95 KB / Downloads: 271)
4 and 6 are similar 'early' signatures as opposed to the later 'Lord' signatures without the H (and a bit more finished)
Now we have a number to compare, I have a real problem with the 'A' in example 1 (the one that was for sale). It has a 'shaky' quality that makes me think someone was trying to get it right...
or he was ageing...
I don't think Sir Herbert 'aged' to that extent. He died aged 74, but was active and in good health until he contracted pneumonia as a result of attending the funeral of an employee killed in a bombing raid on the factory.

The ebay signature has the look of someone trying to copy an existing signature by moving the pen too slowly (having said that the presentation suggests 1940s or 1950s, and it doesn't seem realistic that someone would forge his signature at that time).
His death was over 70 years ago and 74 was a good age for then !
In his final days, Lord Austin, confined to Lickey Grange with pneumonia, had an office adjoining his bedroom. On the day of his death he had read and signed various papers that morning.