The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lord Austin's Signature
This is for sale on ebay at the moment:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144282329572?...SwTkFhfCyg

If genuine, it is interesting to compare Lord Austin's signature with the 'Austin' script as used on the cars?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

the letters are ALL the same...!

(but seriously, that has got to be worth 18 quid or whatever it is...)
Hi All

I’m not sure Jon. There is not a lot of provenance.  If someone could show me Lord Austin’s signature on an authoritative document and it was comparable I’d buy it for the Archive!

Cheers

Howard

Hi Jon

Brief research yields the following and I don’t think the signatures are the same.

Howard

http://www.austinmemories.com/styled-80/...phic-2.pdf
Yes, that second one looks more convincing.  The badge 'A' is a different shape, but otherwise similar?

Attached Files
.jpg   Lord Austin Signature 2.jpg (Size: 7.09 KB / Downloads: 524)
well, I was going to say the for sale one seems plainly when he's older, but he was only alive for 5 years after 1936?
But they aren't dissimilar...

Hadn't seen this before... and this 'Austin' weirdly in same script. This seems to be mis-dated too - perhaps '37? https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/searc...ron-Austin
i dont see it?

why would H AUSTIN sign his name as just austin.

most peoples signature changes in shape over the years, mine has. but if you sign your name with your first name initial. you dont then change to just signing your sir name.

especially with someone like lord austin, as his signature would have to be recognised as the same on all documents for a business.

plus it looks like its been done by an 8 year old.

a waiste of £18.00 id say.
David Howe has forwarded this image of a letter dated 1938:

The form of the letter 'S' is completely different, so I would be extremely sceptical of the ebay item's provenance. Note also that, as Lord Austin, the convention is just to use the surname, but that Sir Herbert added a small 'H' beneath the signature.
Might Lord Austin just sign 'Austin'? I seem to remember the Fawlty Towers episode - 'I'm Lord Melbury, so I just sign Melbury' - as per the letter just added...

However, I don't think that first cut out signature as offered looks very convincing... seems feeble compared with the other ones?
He was H Austin till 1936.
He would have signed himself 'Austin' after that as he was created a Baron in 1936.

Well, the 1938 one doesn't look much like the Motor Co. published one either! Intriguing. Would be good to see more letters like David's one... that signature looks terribly feminine and the subject suggests that could also be the hand of a secretary.
The late Ray Walker who ran the Austin Seven garage in Cambridge for many years was not good at keeping up with his paperwork. I can remember him expressing his annoyance about Mary, his wife, signing various documents including cheques which he had not got around to dealing with. Their writing was very similar in fact, so as far as I know the signature was never questioned.