The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy Windscreen Glass
Likewise when I need 2mm glass for my Victorian sash windows I have to tell them it's for a picture frame.
Glass for car windows has to be 'E' marked. Some local glass companies won't sell glass for windscreens if they know it's for a car becasue of this. One local to me has this rule. Others don't bother and another local supplier who takes that view is where I buy from. Their is no such rule for glass for boats so it makes life easier to say you want your glass for a boat. Any glass merchant should be able to sell you 6mm laminated glass cut to shape and with ground edges if required if you provide the pattern. The 6mm refers to two layers of 3mm glass. It's actually 6.4mm as the interlayer is 0.4mm thick.

Steve
Thanks all for the advice, I'll make some templates for my 'boat' windscreen and see how I get on with the glazier. Presumably they don't want to be too tight in the frame as otherwise there won't be enough space for the glazing strip
Did you have any clips on the top screen of the top hat to stop the glass coming out. Mine moves with the window open
You could say its for an Austin Boat (tail) and then you would only be half telling fibs
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
It's a moot point, and I would advocate safety glass all round, but the current legislation in the UK - the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 only require safety glass (no requirements for E marks or anything, just glass that doesn't break into sharp shards) to WINDSCREENS in cars prior to 1959. Side and rear windows are thus exempt. Don't shoot the messenger!

Link here: via this link