The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy Windscreen Glass
Hello all, 

I need to fit some windscreen glass to my Chummy project and hoping I can get some pointers on the best way to go about it. Can I just take the windscreen frame to a glazier and have them cut some glass to fit, or will I need to provide measurements? (if so I'd much appreciate it someone could provide them!).
Second question - is there a particular type of glass I should be asking for? I'm assuming I'd want something laminated. 
Thirdly, in terms of fitting the glass into the frame, should I be using some sort of rubber channel, or can I use some sort of sealant and wipe away the excess? 

Any advice much appreciated as always!
I'm working from memory here, but a pal who has recently done this for a car, the Marque of which I cannot mention, bought a landrover screen and had it cut down to size. I think that gets round all sorts of rules and regs. I think it also helps if you say 'It's for a boat...'
When I made my Chummy windscreen frame from scratch, I simply cut some templates for the top and bottom from a large cardboard box, I made sure they fitted nicely in the frame and took the templates to my local glazier who cut them in laminated glass while I waited!

I then fixed them with tiger seal, but learned afterwards I should have used glazing strip from one of our cherished suppliers, but it worked and looked fine.
When I broke the Liege screen it was suggested to me that I purchase a flat Landrover screen and have it cut to size. I couldn’t find anyone prepared to a carry out this work due to fear of being sued for one reason or another.
In the end I contacted firm (local to me) who spent their time replacing glass in plant and machinery on building sites. They collected the old screen, cut a new with all the appropriate marks, delivered it to me and were very apologetic when they asked for £40.
With the amount of plant on building sites getting damaged on a daily basis there should be someone close by who can help.
Roger
Tell them it's for a boat as a car has a lot
Of laws regarding screens and they will not
Cut one ,
had mine done In laminate glass ! Think its 8mm thick
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
(26-10-2021, 03:27 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: I'm working from memory here, but a pal who has recently done this for a car, the Marque of which I cannot mention, bought a landrover screen and had it cut down to size. I think that gets round all sorts of rules and regs. I think it also helps if you say 'It's for a boat...'

Recently replaced a shattered screen on our 1938 Opal using early series Landrover glass.
I gave the stripped frame to a recommended fitter who did a great job - he has used a black sealant which has left the fitting looking very neat. You might find the rubber channeling strip a little thick.
Don’t see why you need to say it’s for a boat unless it’s  particularly wet round your way.
I had a windscreen replaced in a Hooper limousine body on a 1935 Straight-8 Daimler. I can't remember who did this but it was one of the large windscreen companies. The had a division that did agricultural and plant equipment. It was an excellent service. They took the frame, removed the glass and replaced with new at a very reasonable price.
Googling "agricultural glass replacement" threw up some companies who do this including one called Plant Glazing Ltd who work throughout Scotland.
Jim
I had to do this on the Top Hat project last year, covered in this thread:

Fitting windscreen glass into the frame (austinsevenfriends.co.uk)

Your glazier should be able to supply 6.4mm (1/4") laminated glass. Mine insisted on patterns, which I cut from hardboard, but you could use cardboard. Just make sure it's accurate.....
there was a lower chummy glass on ebay yesterday...
If you say it is for a boat, as I understand it, they are not tied to such stringent rules and regs as they would be for a car windscreen...