The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting windscreen glass into the frame
Having got the new glass and re-plated frames for the Top Hat, I thought I’d have a go at fitting the glass to the bottom section of the windscreen tonight. 

I’d previously measured the original rubber “U” section that held in the old glass, it was 1/16” (1.58mm) thick. I managed to get some 1.5mm rubber strip and I formed it into a “U” section inside the frame, then put some washing up liquid on the glass and pushed it in. By the time I got the glass in, the rubber had popped out, so I tried again several times until everything was covered in washing up liquid and I was in danger of dropping the glass!
I’ve washed the liquid off the rubber, frame and glass and will try tomorrow to glue the rubber strip into the frame in a few places but does anyone have any other ideas?

I know that some people do this job with silicon sealer or glass bedding butyl rubber sealer but I’ve never used this before, having struggled in the past with glazing rubber strip and I remember the job being a real b*gg*r. 

Anyone care to share ideas?
Hi Parazine

I used a tube of sealant.  From memory I think it was “Tiger” seal, which is also an adhesive.  I just hope I don’t need to take the glass out as it is very firmly stuck in! I wiped the excess off with thinners.

Cheers

Howard
I used Nigel Sandford of Gavaddy VCP in Lewes to supply, cut and fit a new glass in my Pearl frame. Absolutely brilliant and only £60 including the glass. He does a lot of vintage & classic car screens.
In my youth as an apprentice, I was taught to stretch the rubber over the edge of the glass, and then slide rubber and glass into the frame. A job for two pairs of hands!
If you ever want to dismantle the windscreen do not glue it into the frame. I spent a lot of time extracting the glass from a good RN frame where it had been fitted with silicon sealer.
Stretch glazing strip around the edges, it will become thinner in the process.

Push into the frame and, once bedded, release the glazing strip. It will expand again slightly and grip the frame, trim or leave as desired.

Glazing strip available here: https://www.completeautomobilist.com/sea...zing+strip
I really wouldn't use washing up liquid as a lubricant for rubber fitting, windscreen rubbers, tyres to rims etc.

It is detergent, abrasive and has a high salt content. It is ideal for accelerating the oxidation of metals and degrading rubber.
another one for the stick it in with Tiger seal method.
I'll be having another go at this, possibly later. The idea of stretching the seal over the glass edge and then pushing into the frame is sounding 'orribly familiar! I think that's how I won the day on the Chummy screen.  Big Grin We'll see.......
I’m just about to do the same job on the box, if after three goes it’s not working, I’ll use tiger seal like I did on the Chummy!

Thanks for the tip on stretching the seal over the screen first, I was just about to stuff it in the frame and then bash it in with a rubber mallet...