The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ignition Warning Light
I've got things back together enough to get the car running again, complete with electronic ignition all seemingly working as it should which is good. However, the ammeter isn't showing a charge, but is showing a discharge when running and with lights. I'd completely removed the ignition light and wires running to it, but should I have bridged the gap where the light should be? The dynamo was working fine beforehand and has been recently reconditioned
Hi Rupert W

No, don't bridge across the ignition light.  You can run with a working light, or it will function happily with an open circuit (the bulb current isn't necessary).

If you are still seeing a discharge when the engine is running at road speed, you either have not enough dynamo output or too large a current drain.
Hi Rupert

The dynamo on both my cars does not show a charge until the revs build up to about 1500 to 2000 rpm.

I guess it’s a function of dynamo efficiency and cutout performance.

Cheers

Howard
If the dynamo has been rebuilt it may have lost its residual magnetism and need 'flashing'.
Jim
(28-10-2021, 09:05 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Rupert

The dynamo on both my cars does not show a charge until the revs build up to about 1500 to 2000 rpm.

I guess it’s a function of dynamo efficiency and cutout performance.

Cheers

Howard

That would appear to be about right. My RP just about balances the sidelights at 30 mph of approximately 2000 rpm and does not produce a full charging rate of about 10 amps until about 35mph or about 2300 rpm.
I cannot recall the exact characteristics of the original sytem but the handbooks imply full charge at a modest speed. Have they been converted to 12v? The dynamo is intended to be set to barely more then balance the original lamp load....with mere 18w headlamp bulbs. Most are now fitted far larger and so a balance charge should not be attempted.
Luckily enough it appears to have fixed itself, once it had warmed up I gave it a good rev and it seemed to 'unstick', and is now reading and showing a charge as it was previously. Some fine tuning of the ignition needed and then I'll be ready to go out on the roads again.