The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ignition Warning Light
Hello all, I've been doing some unscheduled rewiring on my Box Saloon and I'm having a bit of a battle with the ignition light. The original one was operational but the connectors disintegrated on removal, and I've just managed to damage the the very exposed windings on the new replacement, so I'm assuming it won't be operational now and I'm not sure how feasible repair of either will be. 

Before I shell out for yet another one, am I right in thinking that the ignition light isn't actually needed to run the car and is actually a bit of a 'luxury'? I'd quite like to get the car back together and useable for now. 

Many thanks!
The ignition light isn't needed to run the car. In fact the dynamo needn't be working at all. The battery will hold enough charge for at least 100 miles.
Our dynamo hasn't worked for a few weeks and the car is in everyday use. Must fit those new brushes!

Forgot to add that the fine wire winding can be replaced with an off-the-shelf resistor. I've forgotten the resistance needed though.
Jim
Thanks for the reply - I suppose the next question is whether the charging circuit will remain operational without it?
Easy to find out. Start the engine & watch the ammeter.
Jim
The resistor is 27ohms ,use a 0.6watt. Remove the old wire wound one first. The bulb is 2.5volt 0.25amp.This will save you the expense of a new unit.I did this conversion 50years age,still working.
A key is more secure for what exactly? A Seven can be hot wired in about 10 seconds or less...
(19-10-2021, 06:13 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: A key is more secure for what exactly? A Seven can be hot wired in about 10 seconds or less...

Shhhh........! That's classified information.
Who said anything about a key?
Jim
Following my dynamo problems and finally discovering that the cause of it all was a short across the terminals of the ignition warning light because of a badly fitted insulating washer (my fault) I fixed the washer and the dynamo immediately began charging. I have a new bulb for the warning light but have not installed it yet. So the dynamo does not need the small current across the warning light to charge.
(19-10-2021, 08:49 PM)AustinWood Wrote: Who said anything about a key?

I think that that Nick intended to post his remark on the 'New Owner' thread started by Roy Lovelock.