The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric charging points for the centenary Event
(14-10-2021, 10:03 PM)Tony Press Wrote: Are there any petrol bowsers for those bringing old technology cars  Big Grin

Actually, that's a good question. Why should there be an on-site charger for electric cars? There isn't an on-site fuel station. Of course, the college could always import one of those massive Tesla diesel-engined-powered rapid-charger units dotted around California....
The Caravan and Motorhome Club recently did a tow test with a Tesla Model 3 towing a lightweight Bailey Discovery D4-2, so I guess you can tow with that as well (if you have one). Sportscar acceleration even with the van on should you want this?
Time for an electric cat to break a record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmPONOlZPlw
Mine you, the problem is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1472OHWnfw
Just seen interview with Jo Bamford of JCB re hydrogen powered engines. ( YouTube) Seems to me that this is the way forward for a whole load of reasons but the present obsession with battery power is going to prove an obstacle.
Perhaps there’s a problem using hydrogen in a smaller vehicle?

Charles
Apologies for adding to the thread drift, but nearly 20 years ago I was working for a Hydrogen fuel cell company where a 5kW fuel cell acted as an onboard charger for an electric vehicle; in effect a Hydrogen/electric hybrid. 5kW may not sound a lot but this followed data-logging a delivery van in London. 5 kW was the average power requirement during the drive cycle so, in theory, the vehicle did not need plugging in to a charger. People worried about the Hydrogen cylinders but we had seen them tested successfully by firing live ammunition at them. From memory they were carbon fibre construction.

Hope this helps.  Alan
You might actually find that the Fire College has got electric car chargers on site as they train with manufacturers of electric vehicles.
Lithium Iron battery fires are a very real problem. Just ask Richard Hammond of Top Gear Fame.

( We had a few tons of them at work a while ago, The manufacturers were on site with us and we were told if anything goes wrong run away as fast as possible we had to have all the doors kept open just in case )

They might not be available for Rally participents. But It might be worth checking out with the Rally Team.
I feel that no body is sure so at present it will have to be plan "B" The posts by Tony Press & Tony Griffith are more relevant as with what looks like over 1000 Austin Sevens lightly to attend. With  Moreton in the March appearing too have  only one petrol station lets hope there is plenty of E10 available in July 
Harry
I am afraid I will be bringing my Austin on a trailer behind a re cycled Oil Burner.
So fuel will not be a problem for me !!!