The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sevens in Australia
Hi Bob, I had surmised that. Here in NA, I've never heard corrugated roofing called "iron". Often it was called a "Tin roof". There is even a dessert called a Tin Roof Sundae.

Erich in Mukilteo
Another Australia Railway Station Photograph, this one taken 50 years ago with my Chummy now owned for many years by Tony Press, Max Fosters Tourer and Graeme Smith's aluminium sports two seater with coachwork by with James Flood. The location was the Maryborough station in country Victoria. One of many buildings built during the gold rush.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-07-2021, 02:41 PM)Erich Wrote: Hi Bob, I had surmised that. Here in NA, I've never heard corrugated roofing called "iron". Often it was called a "Tin roof". There is even a dessert called a Tin Roof Sundae.

Erich in Mukilteo

Here in the uk, brought up in the West Riding of Yorkshire, my parents from the north east always called it 'corrugated iron'.
Straying afar from the basic topic but I guess of interest to some. It is remarkable how many otherwise well informed people refer to the roofs as tin roofs.I wonder if they also think tins as in cans  are solid tin? The general move to springy steels is irksome for the handyman used to fashiong all manner of items from offcuts and scrap.
The corrugated steel roofing is best for the tropics. During Cyclone Yasi in 2011 we finished up with tree branches piled high on our roof which after clearing disclosed only a few minor dents. Next door had a tiled roof which suffered a lot of broken tiles allowing water to enter which damaged their ceilings. In the tropics the roofing sheets are secured with screws which have a rectangular cyclone washer and a recessed nitrile seal.

Re tourers in Australia; I am in the process of completing the hood for my 1936 Tourer and it will be marvellous to be able to drive comfortably in its shade. I’ll put some photos up when it is complete. I was unable to get the proper Austin design to work despite Nick Lettington’s excellent sketches so designed my own frame from 1” light pipe which folds very nicely.
In the early days in Australia we built stone sheds with lovely Welsh slate roofs, but the slate was very expensive so we soon began to build timber farm sheds with corrugated galvanised iron walls and roofs- much much cheaper.

There are still a very large number of rusty gal iron sheds !

My house nuilt in 1904 has a slate roof at the front and corrugated galvanised iron at the rear (so called Queen Anne front. Mary Anne backside )

The corrugated 'galvanised Iron' steel sheets are still readily available in Zinc coating, also in Zincalume.
    OK, Australian Sevens aren't the only ones that get onto station platforms.