The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sevens in Australia

Just received this lovely shot from Tim Braby showing a recent visit to Mount Morgan, Central Queensland.
     Austin at Stathalbyn SA
Intriguing photos. Open cars certaintly seem popular in Oz
The sation not St Panceas (which pile of bricks mighjtily impressed me) but it is quite ornate and well presrved. I am not an expert on extreme lens but just what shape is the station? I presume it is a terminus.
Poms may be interested to note that verandahs were normal on all shops. Also on houses, not just for shade but to enable outdoor work clothes to be dried.

.jpg   IMG_0277.jpg (Size: 129.24 KB / Downloads: 433)
.jpg   IMG_1329.JPG (Size: 212.21 KB / Downloads: 432)    Andrew Dawes at Murray Town . Also Austins at Murtoa Victoria
The corrugated iron is another down under feature. My grndfather emmigrated here about 1912 and was disgusted by th iron roofs. During the Depression they dis a lot of patching which he called fowl house plumbing. In dry areas some roofs lasted over 100 years.
Corrugated iron roofs are probably OK in a lot of Australia with low rainfall, I had a memorable stay in camp in Tanzania in the wet season and the racket the rain made on the roof was unbelievable.
...and ingenious use of a Castrol sign on Andrew's Seven.
Corrugated iron, or rather, steel roofs are quite common here in the PNW of North America, though mostly on farm buildings. Always galvanized. Aside from eventually rusting, the failure point is the nails that hold them on. The nails have a rubber grommet to seal them and that usually only lasts a few years. This isn't usually much of a problem as the farm animals don't seem to care if the roofs leak a bit. But the nails rust and then the panels work and sometimes blow off. Standing seam metal roofs are required in areas here which experience wildfires. A bit of a PITA to work on if they are a steep pitch.

Erich in Mukilteo(USA)
Hi Erich
The jargon for ferrous products is/was confusing. Iron as for roofing, wire, decorative work etc derives from the original wrought iron and has been inappropriate from the late 19th century, although only recently falling out of general use. The replacement is often now not just mild steel but a quite high carbon springy steel as modern car frames , roofing steel, fence wire  etc.
(30-06-2021, 06:13 AM)Timbo Wrote:  Austin at Stathalbyn SA

The front Seven is of course a 'Meteor.'

The Meteor was ibuilt by several coach-builders- Flood Motor Body Works, St Kilda Road, Melbourne; Jack Lonzar, Kent Town Adelaide; and A Robinson & Co., 181 Castlereagh St, Sydney, each with their own twist on the design

I would say this is a Flood body - good looking but very heavy, being all steel from the Eldridge cowl over the standard Aistin 7 cowl, long louvered bonnet, round tail and shapely guards- adding at least two hundredweight to the standard Chummy chassis.

The Austin 7 Standard Sports, also by Floods was all aluminium- a much better car for road work.

The SA car has an interesting two tone paint job and later silver centre 19" wheels (originals would have been closed centre Austin Script wheels).   

.jpg   James Flood St Kilda Road.jpg (Size: 85.73 KB / Downloads: 242)