The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milk Delivery A7
It is theoretically possible to get a transferable number re-classified as non-transferable, but it's a risky procedure. I did it several years ago when there were still Local DVLA Offices and it was possible to deal with intelligent human beings, but I would be reluctant to attempt it today. 

Basically, I re-registered my car with another 'cherished number' without retaining the original number, then put that new number on retention, and the car was re-issued with the original number, but now on a non-transferable basis.
Hmm.. the enquiries I have made in the past year or so have come back with the response from the DVLA 'the numbers belong to us, you only have loan of them and don't have the right to request such a thing' As you suggest, Mike, in the days of a local office, such things were likely more possible. I also wonder whether the staff you deal with when talking to the DVLA now are contractors from Asos or someone similar, and have little opportunity to make 'decisions', just follow a script. And if the computer says no...
Yes, mine was made non- transferable via the local DVLA office when applying for the missing new style log book, I had an old green continuation book but I have a feeling that while it was asleep in the back of a garage for many years it missed the new V5 registration process.

Going back to the milk delivery Seven, if I bought it, I would have the original plates made up and put those on for shows and events and use the silly number on the road!
Hi ivor,

As I say I dont like to see the numbers robbed either.

But you shouldn't be so harsh on the age related numbers.

My first ulster rep was age related, not robbed.
I have the 1923 to finish, hope to get an age related, not robbed.
And I have the boulogne to finish, not robbed.

So to think all age related numbers are the result of the original number being robbed from it. Is very harsh on the cars.

Tony.
(07-06-2021, 04:14 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: Hmm.. the enquiries I have made in the past year or so have come back with the response from the DVLA 'the numbers belong to us, you only have loan of them and don't have the right to request such a thing' As you suggest, Mike, in the days of a local office, such things were likely more possible. I also wonder whether the staff you deal with when talking to the DVLA now are contractors from Asos or someone similar, and have little opportunity to make 'decisions', just follow a script. And if the computer says no...
Hi Hugh, If the DVLA says the numbers belong to them, how can individuals be allowed to sell them?
Because you are not selling the number, merely the licence to use that number.
(07-06-2021, 06:40 PM)Lance Sheldrick Wrote:
(07-06-2021, 04:14 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: Hmm.. the enquiries I have made in the past year or so have come back with the response from the DVLA 'the numbers belong to us, you only have loan of them and don't have the right to request such a thing' As you suggest, Mike, in the days of a local office, such things were likely more possible. I also wonder whether the staff you deal with when talking to the DVLA now are contractors from Asos or someone similar, and have little opportunity to make 'decisions', just follow a script. And if the computer says no...
Hi Hugh, If the DVLA says the numbers belong to them, how can individuals be allowed to sell them?

All numbers plates are owned by DVLA. You are only a lessee you can sell, transfer as you wish but, they have the right to take back any number plate at anytime if the rules have been abused, also if the car is involved in a complete write-off the number plate revert to DVLA as the rightful owner.
I take the view that it is nice if the original number has remained with the car but then it is also nice if it retains other original features. I have had a couple of cars that have been imported from Australia and they have by necessity been issued with age related numbers; I have had no alternative but it doesn't worry me.
Here in NZ plates were reissued like a tax disk every couple of years, eventually in 1963 continuous plates were issued, but even these can be lost if you don't pay the annual taxation charge. As a result we don't have original number plates, something I found very frustrating when I emigrated 20 years ago, and still do when trying to research the history of a car so I understand the view point of our UK members but these days think that it it is far less important than I once did. What is important in my opinion is that we are still allowed to freely use our cars whenever we like, something which is restricted in some places like Australia.
Black Art Enthusiast
(07-06-2021, 04:15 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Yes, mine was made non- transferable via the local DVLA office when applying for the missing new style log book, I had an old green continuation book but I have a feeling that while it was asleep in the back of a garage for many years it missed the new V5 registration process.

Going back to the milk delivery Seven, if I bought it, I would have the original plates made up and put those on for shows and events and use the silly number on the road!

Is the V5C marked as to the number being non-transferable? Our Ruby now has its number recovered (we had a V5 but this was not computer registered) but the shiny new V5C appears not to mention "Non-transferable".