The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Electric or vacuum wiper?
Our 1929 fabric saloon has an electric wiper. However we use Rainex and very rarely need to use the wiper. When moving the rain simple forms balls and runs off. The only time the wiper is used is when stationary in heavy rain and then it only requires an occasional manual sweep.
The car is used all year round in all weathers.
Jim
(05-05-2021, 01:17 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Is there anyone who can rebuild such things?, I would like to have a working one on the chummy at least.

Don Brakspear in Wokingham is (or used to be) the man for Vacuum wipers. I don't know whether he still does them.......
(06-05-2021, 05:28 PM)Parazine Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 01:17 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Is there anyone who can rebuild such things?, I would like to have a working one on the chummy at least.

Don Brakspear in Wokingham is (or used to be) the man for Vacuum wipers. I don't know whether he still does them.......

He's just done one for me. Now, where's that eBay advert for a miniature electric vacuum pump?
many years ago I got fed up with a numb posterior because only my posterior was supported and not my upper legs so I fitted spacers under the seat front mountings      which had the desired effect. I also realized that they lowered the rear of the seat and my line of sight below the wiper motor.
Over the last week or so I've had 6 non operational MT7 pull and spin wiper motors given to me     So far I've brought 4 back to life, the ones with covers on.
Well, since this has been revived - I've recently made the decision to revert to a vacuum wiper on my Box Saloon, given that Rainex more or less overcomes any issues with erratic operation; and that I have one in the drawer.

However I have no fitting in the manifold for the vacuum hose to connect to - does anyone have detail please? Is it just a bit of tube pressed in or is it threaded into the casting?
(06-05-2021, 05:47 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 05:28 PM)Parazine Wrote:

He's just done one for me. Now, where's that eBay advert for a miniature electric vacuum pump?

The two miniature vacuum pumps I tried from eBay were useless and sent back as faulty. Finally, I fitted (under the seat) a rather-too-large pump intended for brake boosting on a modern. It's 12-volt but runs happily on 6 and, on the balls-out setting, the wiper works perfectly. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403706456901  Much the same thing is available from scrap yards of course.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In the collection of electric motors were the bits of a vacuum wiper which I built up, it needed new cup washers which I had in stock in a jar of neatsfoot oil where they have resided for a couple of decades. They were very tight and needed running in on the passenger floor of one of our cars. After about 20 miles it was well run in and surprisingly powerful. I've come to like the vacuum motors which are faster than electric even at 40 mph on a level road, yes they stop on hills and give a couple of sweeps when changing but that isn't a problem with a vertical windscreen.
Maybe Tony needs some of these      just arrived from Cheshire Leather in Crewe. Yes Don Breakspear still does the vacuum wiper motor repairs but won't sell new cup washers after he supplied some to a customer who then reported on the internet that they were no good, Don said he'd refund the cost if he returned them which never happened.
The absolute answer is to convert the vacuum wiper to all-electric operation with a cunning, built-in motor like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmfKoUYACc
Or, rip apart a cheap car-type pump and use the unit from that - as shown in the first few minutes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JksUmIwLLgM