The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Electric or vacuum wiper?
I’m in a bit of a quandary and need a bit of guidance please chaps.

I have a couple of Ruby wiper motors and was going to upgrade the RP to electric, while re-wiring the car, but test fitting shows that the motor is pretty much in the sight line, whereas in the Ruby it’s that bit higher.

Is it really worth it or shall I track down a vacuum wiper, which having them in the past, they can be a bit erratic, to say the least, I would really value some opinions, before I complete the wiring this week!
rainex!
Yep! But it still leaves three holes in my windscreen frame!
Rainex, then the passenger can see too.
Jim
Hi Ivor

I tried a vacuum wiper on my RK but couldn’t get it to work well enough for my taste. So I fitted a Ruby wiper. I threaded the cable up through the vacuum hose to disguise it (even though the motor is in plain view  Big Grin ).  I still use Rainex but I think that there is a legal requirement for a wiper, unless the screen folds?

Cheers

Howard
I found the Lucas vacuum wiper works well with the updraft 22FZB but is useless on the side draft 26VA.
Thanks fellas, it looks like I maybe going electric, on my Chummy with the three bearing motor I had the vacuum wiper, but as Dave said, with the 26va carb it struggled to work...
I use a Vacuum wiper on the Chummy, RK and Top Hat. I find them reliable provided they are kept well oiled and I get used to the fact that they slow down or stop when accelerating hard.

My dad had a Ford 8 (model 7Y) and a Prefect (E493A) in the 'sixties, with Vacuum wipers so maybe I got used to them then. The Ford had a tank to hold a bit of vacuum to operate the wipers when the throttle was floored but it didn't seem to do much good.....
I'd go with a vacuum. You'll find it provides a suitably frustrating distraction from all the other grumbles, groans and whining that accompanies most journeys in an A7.......
Ruby motor on my RP. Visibility isn't a problem until you open the screen...