The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums in general....
Andy, The question on what oil to use. That will certainly lubricate the mind and fingers of members when they answer your query on here. I think there are more differing views on oil than most things. The other that comes a close second in the use of torque gauges When tightening down a head.

John Mason

Andy, The question on what oil to use. That will certainly lubricate the mind and fingers of members when they answer your query on here. I think there are more differing views on oil than most things. The other that comes a close second in the use of torque gauges When tightening down a head.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I think A7 Friends is inspiring and ought to be the model for every forum. I look at “Facecloth” (Facebook)most days to read the latest news locally and internationally but there is so much personal abuse, mainly on political items that are commented on that I find so disheartening.
Cheers,
Dave.
(23-07-2020, 09:11 AM)John Mason Wrote: What oil to use. A close second in the use of torque gauges.
John Mason

My other Forum sawed sawdust for weeks on the correct colour of the steel wheels..... well the cheapest silver they could get would be the right answer, first lot out the drum were light sliver, last few were darker grey as Guido hadn't stirred the drum in a while...

Paint the wheels & drive the car !!

Aye
Greig
I’m in full agreement with you Dave, Facebook is full of inane political nonsense from the hard left to the hard right and in my view Neither has any place on a motor car forum...I find the Friends forum a safe haven and long may that remain the case.

Now then, shall I brace myself and have a look on Facebook?
(23-07-2020, 11:42 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: I think A7 Friends is inspiring and ought to be the model for every forum. I look at “Facecloth” (Facebook)most days to read the latest news locally and internationally but there is so much personal abuse, mainly on political items that are commented on that I find so disheartening.
Cheers,
Dave.
a lot of people use Facebook just within the closed groups like the 3000 or so on the Austin 7 group, where I'd say you don't get any of the sort of things above, precisely as it has monitoring people who set up the group - although the group has a very different character and doesnt get into detail much. Lots more photos just because its easier to post them. It is entirely independent though, apart from facebook's "funding" of the space. Good for succinct, quick responses to problems sometimes. There is also a large grouping for A7 sports/specials and I was surprised that that wasn't more like the forum for discussion. I suppose perhaps because people just sign up because it is there... and perhaps people are accessing from smartphones and not wanting to get too involved but wanting a feed to browse when they are bored?
I find this a wonderful happy forum and do not pick up on any antagonism.
I am appalled however by other forums and yes the "demonstration" of knowledge which probably has the questioner wishing they had not made the query.
Even more annoying on other forums and FB are the questions "I have just found this in a hedge/shed what is it and how much is it worth". Surely with the power of the internet you can at least roughly identify what the item is?
Best wishes to all and back to the garage!
(23-07-2020, 12:46 PM)JonE Wrote:
(23-07-2020, 11:42 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: I think A7 Friends is inspiring and ought to be the model for every forum. I look at “Facecloth” (Facebook)most days to read the latest news locally and internationally but there is so much personal abuse, mainly on political items that are commented on that I find so disheartening.
Cheers,
Dave.
a lot of people use Facebook just within the closed groups like the 3000 or so on the Austin 7 group, where I'd say you don't get any of the sort of things above, precisely as it has monitoring people who set up the group - although the group has a very different character and doesnt get into detail much. Lots more photos just because its easier to post them. It is entirely independent though, apart from facebook's "funding" of the space. Good for succinct, quick responses to problems sometimes. There is also a large grouping for A7 sports/specials and I was surprised that that wasn't more like the forum for discussion. I suppose perhaps because people just sign up because it is there... and perhaps people are accessing from smartphones and not wanting to get too involved but wanting a feed to browse when they are bored?
How can you get bored if you have an Austin 7?  One of the greatest attributes of the Austin 7 is, and always has been, the way it transcends politics, class, gender, race, religion and all those other things that spoil our world.
I really agree with that Malcolm. Cool