The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums in general....
It never ceases to amuse me when forums of this ilk have subscribers asking for advise as in " how do I do this ..." seldom is the question answered! Instead there is usually a collection of " You don't want to do that" responses.; it isn't just this forum but almost all that I have ever ventured on to. It seems that all forums have a core following of members sufficiently wise and experienced that they can ignore the original posting's question as it stands, and answer it with unlooked for advice. I have done it myself, it is very difficult not to do so, even though it suggests a certain arrogance on the part of the respondent suggesting that the question asked was not the right one for the situation.
      Am I alone in noticing this??
Hi Ian

Yes. It may be that posters don’t want to offer definitive answers or even their own solutions for fear of being shot down in flames by the “I wouldn’t do that” crowd?

Cheers

Howard
My exceptionally grumpy view is I tend to ignore questions that could be answered if the original poster either read the "standard" books or could manage to use a forum search function! 

Charles
Hmm, think you might be asking the wrong question there, Ian.....
If I ignore the post, I am doomed.

If I respond the post, I am doomed.

Arghhh, did it again!!!!
Ian, starting a thread about forums in general -Well, I wouldn't do that if I were you.....

I think the best advice I can give under the circumstances is to make sure all your vegetables have been nicely washed before preparing a salad Wink
Perhaps following Ian thread the next time someone states he is contemplating doing something to his seven and asks what other think. Then gets the negative don’t do that replies. He will follow up with a second entry on his thread stating. Stuff you it’s my seven and will do what like to it. Some people cannot accept criticism even if it is of the constructive kind.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Twenty-five years ago, when I first owned a Seven and joined my local PWA7 club, it used to amuse me that when I asked a deep technical question of the top two or three most experienced members of the club, the answers they gave would be different - sometimes very different - but all correct in their own way.  And, if I happened to ask when more than one was present, it might not go well as they would likely fall out or I would have to show which answer I preferred - both outcomes being awkward!  I learnt it was necessary to be politically aware, polite, and that there was rarely just one answer...

Colin
the questions are often irrelevant. They are all pub conversations. Some keep with the needs of the original preponent and listen intently to all parties. Others jump in and answer the sub-question posted in the previous/last post succinctly. Others don't read the bits in-between and their value in what has developed in the original question. But it's all good stuff to pull things from for whatever you might need at the time... or to pass the time like you might in a bookshop. Some real gems to find from those who have been through the thought processes, or the multiple scenarios, enough times to generate some wisdom.

Searching for old stuff on the forum - often painful just because the titles never fit the really decent threads. But if you could find what you wanted, what would be the point of a forum? It must all have been answered 1000 times in the last 50 years?
I'm not sure it's entirely wise or kind to describe those who know and would freely help as 'arrogant'...if your preconception of what their answers should have been is not satisfied you are of course entirely free to ignore their advice. The expression 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth' comes to mind.

Having spent a lifetime in automotive engineering design, my experience is much like Colin's; there are surprisingly few black and white answers in engineering. Engineers learn to pool the available facts and data (hopefully distinguishing them from fiction in the process) and make appropriate choices. Perhaps the greatest skill of all is asking the right questions.

'A7 Friends' is by no means immune from dogma, waffle, misinformation, sniping and backbiting, but my limited experience of other motoring forums suggests we have much to be proud of here.