The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums in general....
Well said Ivor, I concur.
Good evening Ian. I have recently experienced the very same attitude on a a classic car forum; but in this case the "attitude" was not in any way rude or disrespectful but more academic. I am rebuilding an MG TC and was given some incorrect advise regarding the timing of a non standard camshaft resulting in a lot of wasted time and effort. I sought advise on a poplar MG forum and received a couple of technical replies from "experts" couched in unfathomable jargon. It was all way over my head. It was as if I had somehow given them the opportunity of showing everyone else on the forum just how clever they are. My question was simple and to the point but the response was over complicated and designed, I think, to make me look stupid.

Eventually, someone took pity on me and posted the information I wanted. Simple and to the point.

Not everyone thinks it's all about them.
Hi
As an owner of a 60’s modified oxford students Ruby with ( horrors of horrors) some fibreglass fairings on the rear mudguards and spare wheel covering it is best to ignore the purists.
Yes and don’t get christiened Ian !
Ian
In general terms, intonation is very difficult to get across in text, I suspect this causes more problems on Forums than anything else.

Without it, a well meant jibe becomes a fight-to-death insult.
HI All,
Andy Bennett, Mentioned using the Search function which is a good idea. but HOW do you find the relative posts as we don't all ways start off with the correct heading so a lot of the time easy just to ask a new question.
with replys just keep them simple and non judgemental but explain why you gave such advise then the person will make up there own mind.
very much like training apprentices some people are better at getting the point across

Still a very good Forum

Colin 
NZ
I completely agree with Rory about intonation and misinterpretation of what is said in text, many will remember that Rory and I got our wires badly crossed here, I felt wounded as probably Rory did too, I got banned and we both lost a good friend or two as a result!
Black Art Enthusiast
I'm an administrator on another Marque Forum / Bulletin Board, we currently have 75000 members & we've had our share of hot heads over the years & some stories can make your toes curl. Currently it's running very well thanks to great leadership from our Head Administrator, but it is a daily chore to ensure that things run smoothly, made easier by being a member of a great Team. Virtually every Forum has had its share of personality clashes, the tales from Ferrarichat and the Porsche Forums make one cringe.

This Austin Friends Forum is such a pleasure, it's well run & easy to use, plus you guys are all great, lots of friendly banter, lots of good advice & I've made some fantastic friends, even had a personal visit from Andy & Karen Bennett when they were out here on holiday

I think it has a lot to do with the cars, 7's are friendly cars & they attract friendly owners

Greetings to all from the Colonies
Greig
Much truth in the responses above. It is very gratifying that several see the Forum as all sweetness and light. .... I note that most are newcomers......

Even after long association it is difficult to fathom the exact level of each contributor, and even more difficult to remember every time. Replies not at just the right level cause offence. But unless pitched at a fairly basic level with some background info others gain little from the answer. Especially later generation newcomers. Answers are not intended just for the enquirer.

It is ironic but succinct, complete, moderately expansive, readily searchable postings on recurrent questions appear to diminish the Forum as they do not require new posted questions!

Those (few)who understand most of the pros and cons and have thought them through get offended by persons contradicting their intentions.
But advising against action is often a reasonable response. A lot of available info is dubious including early servicing advice (filling hubs), the Williams special book etc.

There is a lot of information around, although newcomers may not realise. And it is no mean feat finding much of it. It requires considerable time, knowledge and experience to sift it. For more modern cars can begin by tracking down the home workshop manual of the time but there is nothing so self contained available for the Seven. No obvious succinct list of info sources anywhere. But some make no attempt.

Many of those who can directly answer with ideal advice are too occupied with more important matters (like working on their car) than to detail what to them is so obvious. And others are not positive that they know the ultimate ideal, unlikley to be challenged way to do things so they avoid the question and stick to peripheral comment.

It is true many, myself included, fail to read every word of every response every time they open the post and points made are overlooked or repeated. But others can at least gather useful info without tediously rereading all from top to bottom

It is sad that the hobby and similar on the amateur scale are in decline. I could write a thesis on why but it would be too discouraging for here. The surprising thing is that so many cars are restored still.
Picking up on the intonation thing. I have always said that what is said is 20% the words and 80% the way you say it. In text, the 80% is lost. For example, I could say 'Ruairidh Dunford, you are a prat!' or I could say 'Ruairidh Dunford, you are a prat!'. If I were to say it out loud, one could have a chuckle in my voice, the other could express anger, but the words are exactly the same. Careful choice of phraseology, the use of smilies and not presuming that the other person gets your joke, helps. Though, to make it very clear, I'm not advocating the loss of 'banter' in the forum. This forum (and I have a little experience of others) actually runs really well - and long may it do so!
How did I know you were going to use that specific example Hugh?

#reaches for the “will correction” pen and scores out the name “Huge Barnicles”. Sits back sipping tea, watching the world rotate, safe in the knowledge that every action does indeed have a reaction.

Smile