The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum features, What do you think?
Timothy, I'll use the first option, say who the reply is for in future I think, seems more polite!

Tony P, I've been working from home the last few days. Got bitten by something and my foot swelled up something awful. My replies have probably been faster since I wasn't being interrupted by work so this is the first time I triggered that behaviour.

Simon
Really good stuff Timothy. Good to see how flexible these systems are.
The other thing which would radically improve a system (which is not known for its search abilities) would be how we could collectively somehow change thread titles when they get put up with some ineffective first posting title like "look here!" or something like that.
i.e. As this thread develops, it could be changed to 'reducing Forum thread length' or such. Some threads are naturally of their time and won't be a lot of use for future discussion, whereas others are packed with info and end up with little chance of being found when reviewing thread lists.
Is there any way another user could suggest such a thing formally.. i.e. allowing a shared responsibility to improve?
Jon, I agree when a thread drift happens the title can be misleading and may stop people who would be interested in the new discussion viewing. As for Vague titles, the problem with changing them is making it obvious to those that are replying/watching the thread that it is the same thread under another name if you get my gist. Vague titles do capture peoples natural curiosity so I guess they can be useful in the instance of getting original views. As far as search goes, a vague title shouldn't stop results coming up in search, as it searches the post too (unless you choose title only). I did some tests on the search function and put some tricks that can be used on another thread asking about search, I'll dig it all out and see if it's worth making a guide, or better may be to see if the tips could be added near the relevant boxes in the advanced search (which you get by clicking the 'Search' button with the magnifying glass above the search box.)

Changing the title is an easy thing to achieve though, all built in, either the thread starter, a moderator, or admin can do this by clicking edit on the first post, there will be a Title box which you can change just above the normal reply box. 
I think in a case of a thread drift though it may be best to split the thread, leaving the original one with the original title, question & answers, then having a new one with the discussion on the secondary topic moved over and a relevant title. A simple post in the original thread with a redirect to the continued discussion in new one would work so that those that were using the thread don't wonder what is going on.
It will be later on, but I'll have a look at splitting this one just to see how it all works and show how it would look.
I don't know whether this particular host allows it, but some other forums have the facility to "make sticky" a popular thread so it doesn't disappear off the front page if there's no activity on it for a while. It (or they) will always remain on show, above all other threads. One way of achieving that here would be to move it to the "important threads" section.
Rekkers, Yes sticky threads is what the important threads section at the top of the forum is for, and any thread can be stuck or unstuck by mods or admin.
At the moment it has been used mainly for things to do with using the forum/features.
Having too many threads in there means less current threads on the first page and longer to scroll down to get to them, so I don't think sticking too much is a good idea.
Saying that if a thread is sufficiently important that it should stay there then just raise it with an admin or moderator, I believe this can be done with the report button which appears on all posts and just type 'Sticky request" or similar in the reason.
Were there any threads in particular that you were thinking of at present?
Maybe the 'What have you done today' is a good candidate, (though it tends to stay quite high from regular use)?
Thread split complete, fairly simple process, though I managed to miss one post first time around.
I put a post with a note and link on the original thread.
Any good?
I think I might add a flag to my footer, and soon I hope:-)
Based near the Scottish Border,
KISS.
Bill, your signature appears to now be a tautology.... :-)
HI’m interested to read what cars members have . Or have had
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.