The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Groaner's Corner
(23-01-2019, 07:04 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Washing up liquid is a good lubricant but contains salt that can help to corrode rims.

Steve

You could also use car shampoo.
(23-01-2019, 09:37 PM)Austin Carr Wrote:
(23-01-2019, 07:04 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Washing up liquid is a good lubricant but contains salt that can help to corrode rims.

Steve

Although I use Swarfega as a rim lubricant, I've been recommended the use of Waxoyl in the past and can appreciate the advantages. Horses for courses I suppose.....
Bob
The thing to do is save all the nearly worn out soap bars from the bathroom. Soaked in water they make very effective tyre fitting paste.
Alan Fairless

Steve

Saddle soap works quite well and has the merit of being salt free.

As this is a groaners corner, may I add a small groan? I am new to the forum but can't find a thread to introduce myself. After a gap of some 30 years, I have just bought myself another Austin 7 a 1933 RP saloon. I live in Bala, Gwynedd, which appears to be a bit of a no-man's land when it comes to Austin 7 clubs. The nearest ones are 70 miles away which makes a return trip a long way in a Seven, especially this weather on 'TocH' headlamps.
Hello and welcome David. There is no formal 'introductions' thread or section, but you are welcome to start a thread to say hello, I'm sure everyone would love to see a photo or two of your newly acquired RP or any stories of your seven-ing past.
As befits this particular thread...
"Flaming Nora not another 33 RP. Common as bloody muck they are!"

Only joking. Welcome. Have fun.
Re: Tyre fitting, I would think that Swarfega and Waxoyl are paraffin based and would therefore soften or degrade the rubber in the tyre?

I use washing up liquid but if you're pedantic about salt, car shampoo or even hair shampoo is supposed to be salt free.........
"Hair Shampoo"? No, you've lost me there - I even asked my father, not a clue? Remind me again please?
(23-01-2019, 10:57 PM)David Stepney Wrote:

Steve

Saddle soap works quite well and has the merit of being salt free.

As this is a groaners corner, may I add a small groan? I am new to the forum but can't find a thread to introduce myself. After a gap of some 30 years, I have just bought myself another Austin 7 a 1933 RP saloon. I live in Bala, Gwynedd, which appears to be a bit of a no-man's land when it comes to Austin 7 clubs. The nearest ones are 70 miles away which makes a return trip a long way in a Seven, especially this weather on 'TocH' headlamps.

Welcome David

Wow and I thought I was a long way from the nearest club (40 to Hereford and 50 to South Wales).  I'm editor for the South Wales mag and know that we do have a member or two up in your area and until recently organised a spring run up north.  We also have members in Norfolk, Southampton and even France!  If you join a club you do get the magazine and notification of any runs etc.  Membership is peanuts less than a couple of pints.

Howard
To be fair you can buy a tub of proper bead lubricant paste for not a lot of money if you want to avoid the salt content. Me I'm just tighter than a submarine's window.