The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Groaner's Corner
The Merc is a keeper. It's just nicely run-in. Visiting family in Stuttgart with it might be problematic though! Next time we go I will still use the Uber Barge and see whether I get done and if so just plead ignorance.

Just taken my C15 van for its annual pollution check and all is well. As is the tester's pocket after trousering 35€ for 5 minutes work and a sticker.
(21-01-2019, 06:26 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: The Merc is a keeper. It's just nicely run-in. Visiting family in Stuttgart with it might be problematic though! Next time we go I will still use the Uber Barge and see whether I get done and if so just plead ignorance.

Just taken my C15 van for its annual pollution check and all is well. As is the tester's pocket after trousering 35€ for 5 minutes work and a sticker.

By 'work' I presume you mean he plugged it into a machine!
Aye. Shoved a probe up its backside and revved the engine. It was really a huge physical effort because he had to do it three times. I watched the screen while he did it. Rev it to over 3000 and let it settle to tick-over.

Opacity tolerance in France for a non turbo diesel without particulate filter (the van is from 1995) is 2.5m-1; Over three readings it averaged out at 1.13m-1 which I guess isn't bad on an old banger that's got over 300,000km on the clock. After that much mileage there must be some wear in the engine and injectors, but it's OK for another year now. PSA XUD non turbo diesel 1.7litre. Virtually indestructible.

Did the cam belt etc last year. Pig of a job. Ended up having to undo the engine mounts and jack the motor over to the n/s to get my fingers in. It was probably the first time it's ever been done. (every 4 years? stuff that). Between now & then I intend to drop the rear subframe to do the shocks & radius arm bushes. The steering rack needs some TLC too. Mind you, cheaper than buying another van. In the paper today they were selling a 5yr old Kangoo and they wanted 11,000€ for it! You can buy a brand new Dokker van for less than that. Blood and Sand.
Nick, next time you are in there lightly dust the whole inside of the tyre with baby powder, stick the tube in a largish shopping bag and give it 2 good squirts of baby powder, tie the bag up tight and give it a good shake. Now the tyre and tube will happily slide home together with less effort and far less risk of pinching the tube & as a bonus they are very easy to remove again. Been doing car & bicycle tyres like this for years.....

We're in the middle of our 8 month summer.... a tough life we have here in the Colonies

Aye
Greig
(23-01-2019, 11:06 AM)Greig Smith Wrote: We're in the middle of our 8 month summer.... a tough life we have here in the Colonies

Aye
Greig

Cruel, Greig, cruel.  Spare a thought for those of us stuck on what some of my SA friends unkindly refer to as "Mud Island"!
I see a couple of references to government. Be thankful, where I live, the government closed.

Erich in Seattle
A 3.50 x 19 tyre, particularly the Avons can be quite difficult to fit in the winter. Better if they are warmed a bit to help the tyre to become more supple. Never used talcum but the wife's fairy liquid on the beads does help. If you've done it right you shouldn't have to use a lever to get the last bit over the rim as they should just walk on - start (to remove) and finish(when refitting) at the valve. That ensures that the opposing bead is right into the well of the tyre. A little air in the tube helps to keep it out of the way. No pressure, just enough to inflate it a little. Put the retaining ring on the valve stem but don't screw it home. That allows you to push it into the centre to keep it out of the way, but without it getting lost.
Washing up liquid is a good lubricant but contains salt that can help to corrode rims. I use waxoyl these days. Has the advantage of offering an element of internal protection for the rims.

Steve
(23-01-2019, 05:16 PM)Erich Wrote: I see a couple of references to government. Be thankful, where I live, the government closed.

Erich in Seattle

Wish we could close down our lot Erich. Just read that ex-Brexit sec, David Davies has landed a consultancy job with JCB. 20 hours a year. £60,000. Makes me feel slightly nauseous.
(23-01-2019, 11:06 AM)Greig Smith Wrote: Nick, next time you are in there lightly dust the whole inside of the tyre with baby powder, stick the tube in a largish shopping bag and give it 2 good squirts of baby powder, tie the bag up tight and give it a good shake. Now the tyre and tube will happily slide home together with less effort and far less risk of pinching the tube & as a bonus they are very easy to remove again. Been doing car & bicycle tyres like this for years.....

We're in the middle of our 8 month summer.... a tough life we have here in the Colonies

Aye
Greig

That's sage advice Greig.  I'll look forward to Mrs L's bemusement as to why I smell of rubber and baby powder!

I'm blaming the weather. I've done several without problem before... including fitting the 5 tyres on the ORT now. I'll just have to borrow a space-saver spare from the Speedex again until it gets a bit warmer!

Ok... So this was last time and just to keep it moveable.