The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Groaner's Corner
Steve, 
     clamp a Jubilee clip around the gland nut. Heat with a gas torch and tap it round with a hammer.
(07-01-2019, 09:16 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Oooo nasty one steve,

I've also got that problem, but how do you tell if it's left or right hand thread. As they done both.

Mine won't budge either way, tried heat Angry

Tony.

Pot luck I think, Tony. Perhaps I'm tightening the damn thing up Sad

Steve
I thuoght for a moment this was ooh matron territory: "keep it clean, keep it short!"

In fact it seems to be Fasteners Night on the Austin Seven Site, loctite here, locknuts elsewhere, I wonder if copper rivets are hiding somewhere.
(07-01-2019, 09:36 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:

I've also got that problem, but how do you tell if it's left or right hand thread. As they done both.

Tony.

Steve

No evidence of bruising?

Tony.

Steve

If I remember correctly mine's a RH thread but the majority (I've been told) are LH.

Tony.

Tony,
If there is any thread showing past the nut this should indicate left or right, that’s how I did it.

Roger
In August 2001 I treated myself to a brand new Merc E class 220 CDI, which I still have. It has 270,000km on the clock and has performed faultlessly over the past 18 years and still returns well over 50mpg on a run. My son lives in Stuttgart with his family and we use the Uber-Barge to drive there when we go to visit. Well we did, but now we can't because the Eco warriors that have political clout in Baden-Wuttemberg have decided that they will ban all older diesels that are Euro 4 or less compliant from the entire Stuttgart area, which effectively means that my pride and joy now renders me persona non grata. I am retired and living on just a pension so the possibility of buying a newer replacement is out of the question, and I do have to ask myself why. Look at it. It's like new. Bloody politicians.

[Image: IMG-20181012-WA0000-2.jpg] (photo taken October 2018)
(07-01-2019, 10:31 PM)Charles P Wrote:

Tony.

Steve

No evidence of bruising?

None on mine , Charles. There is now thoughBlush 

Steve
(08-01-2019, 10:09 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: In August 2001 I treated myself to a brand new Merc E class 220 CDI, which I still have. It has 270,000km on the clock and has performed faultlessly over the past 18 years and still returns well over 50mpg on a run. My son lives in Stuttgart with his family and we use the Uber-Barge to drive there when we go to visit. Well we did, but now we can't because the Eco warriors that have political clout in Baden-Wuttemberg have decided that they will ban all older diesels that are Euro 4 or less compliant from the entire Stuttgart area, which effectively means that my pride and joy now renders me persona non grata. I am retired and living on just a pension so the possibility of buying a newer replacement is out of the question, and I do have to ask myself why. Look at it. It's like new. Bloody politicians.

[Image: IMG-20181012-WA0000-2.jpg] (photo taken October 2018)

It's sheer imbecilism. Scrapping your perfectly serviceable and decently efficient vehicle and building another to replace it will generate far more pollution than simply continuing to drive it. Unfortunately more and more people with vested interests and axes to grind are jumping on this bandwagon.
While the stupidity is obvious and easy to denigrate, the idea is to engender awareness of our serious problems of pollution and waste. If we don't move quickly our grandchildren will be paying the price of our profligacy.
I'd happily go back to driving a 2CV but that would be retrograde. I bought a new diesel Kangoo having been encouraged to do so for green reasons, only to find that 10 years later I am now almost a pariah when it comes to micro-particulate emissions.
I don't have an answer that doesn't ban personal transport other than on the vehicle of the future, the bicycle.
If only they had left the metal in place when the Beeching cuts were made (by a Tory transport minister with strong road-building connections) we might have a better public transport infrastructure.
The local station is still there with the buildings and platform but no metal or sleepers left, the track having buildings on it.
The village has one bus per day and is 1.3 miles from the nearest bus service on the main road.
No car, no job? It's a 2.6 mile walk and a £7.00 return to the job centre. Now that's what I call planning...