The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
turbo with port injection on methanol
Amazing what you can do with a basically standard Austin Seven engine !!

From all reports the factory blown side valve engines had trouble both with the head gasket and holding the cast iron block on to the aluminium crankcase when reaching over 110 miles an hour.
I've been laughing lately watching Roadkill garage how every time they come across a car with points they mention it like it's some ancient, forgotten technology.

Simon
The 37 A7 would have a centre main bearing. Did you do any modifications to the CM housing? How did you ensure the CM was in alignment with the other two main bearings?
[attachment=4853 Wrote:Ritchie Wilson pid='20999' dateline='1545549767']
.jpg   DSCN1259.JPG (Size: 119.23 KB / Downloads: 451)
.jpg   DSCN1260.JPG (Size: 122.74 KB / Downloads: 451)
.jpg   DSCN1262.JPG (Size: 122.61 KB / Downloads: 451) The 37 A7 would have a centre main bearing. Did you do any modifications to the CM housing? How did you ensure the CM was in alignment with the other two main bearings?

The Hadley crank and rods come with drawings to modify CC by machining rear brg. hole with notches and machine out cent. main web .. The counter weights on crank come off to get crank in case  .  This engine easily turns 7000 in !st & 2nd .  I LOVE this crank and rods .. Everything is balanced within 1 gram  .. I used 3 main CC cause thats what I have and I thought the left over webbing might help rigidity wise .. I blocked the oil tube to cent. main which cuts off oil to cent. cam bush. ..  That's why I have oil line going across frt. of engine to oil the lifter galley and cent. bush. from outside . Pistons were made in Germany by Wossner , they are gorgeous  !!  I doubt I have done anything that hasn't been done before , but it is great fun to think what to do next !!  STEVE

(23-12-2018, 07:02 AM)Tony Press Wrote: Amazing what you can do with a basically standard Austin Seven engine !!

From all reports the factory blown side valve engines had trouble both with the head gasket and holding the cast iron block on to the aluminium crankcase when reaching over 110 miles an hour.

I have seen pics of through studs and wonder what  to do about that .. What RPM might they be turning ?? The methanol might help with keeping engine assembly cooler overall .  STEVE

Attached Files
.jpg   DSCN1258.JPG (Size: 122.44 KB / Downloads: 433)
.jpg   DSCN1888.JPG (Size: 119.58 KB / Downloads: 427)
.jpg   DSCN1889.JPG (Size: 119.93 KB / Downloads: 426)
.jpg   DSCN1890.JPG (Size: 120.98 KB / Downloads: 427)
.jpg   DSCN1891.JPG (Size: 120.58 KB / Downloads: 427)
.jpg   DSCN1892.JPG (Size: 121.75 KB / Downloads: 427)
.jpg   DSCN1893.JPG (Size: 121.36 KB / Downloads: 426)
.jpg   DSCN1905.JPG (Size: 123.41 KB / Downloads: 426)
.jpg   DSCN1906.JPG (Size: 122.15 KB / Downloads: 426)
That looks like great work there.  I would also be interested in the exact make up of your valve gear, including valve caps and springs, if you don't mind sharing. I've been using old style mini valves with machined down valve caps for a long time now . These valves work with British Leyland E series valve springs -none of these bits are quite as over-the-counter at the parts store as they used to be.

[Image: 46385754772_5df10771f3_k.jpg]

BTW, I did the engineering and trackside on a blown Methanol fueled A7 single seater some years ago. Over several seasons racing it did seem to suffer more than its share of cracked blocks, I came to the conclusion that it was due to the massive difference in inlet and exhaust temperatures with alcohol fuel. The later 10 stud blocks for the blown works cars had a different shape to the exhaust port which allowed for coolant circulation around more of the exhaust valve seat circumference.
I like that for a US car it's still left hand drive!

Is it still running on the standard Austin king pins? I am guessing at Bonneville there is little turning involved usually but the spindles really look tiny on the bigger wheels. Also what is the front spring? It seems a standard straight axle with a very arched spring?

Simon
(23-12-2018, 09:47 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: That looks like great work there.  I would also be interested in the exact make up of your valve gear, including valve caps and springs, if you don't mind sharing. I've been using old style mini valves with machined down valve caps for a long time now . These valves work with British Leyland E series valve springs -none of these bits are quite as over-the-counter at the parts store as they used to be.
Valves are FORD ZETEC  with titanium retainers . The valves are stainless , tulip shape , smaller stems . Springs are aftermarket for length and resistance seated and at full lift . The hard part was guides needed to be made to fit . Ports are larger with valve guide shortened and stud above not showing and all studs water sealed at block .. Lifters drilled with 2 holes ,  shortened at top , no lock nut and adjuster shortened and smaller head (10 mm. wrench).. ARP studs , washers ,  nuts , most places .. A precise 3 angle valve seat , cut , not with stones,  positioned correctly on valve .. Be 100% sure valve job is the best with someone who cares about your project and will take the time to do it right .. PICS later ..  STEVE
[Image: 46385754772_5df10771f3_k.jpg]

BTW, I did the engineering and trackside on a blown Methanol fueled A7 single seater some years ago. Over several seasons racing it did seem to suffer more than its share of cracked blocks, I came to the conclusion that it was due to the massive difference in inlet and exhaust temperatures with alcohol fuel. The later 10 stud blocks for the blown works cars had a different shape to the exhaust port which allowed for coolant circulation around more of the exhaust valve seat circumference.

(23-12-2018, 11:34 PM)jansens Wrote: I like that for a US car it's still left hand drive!

Is it still running on the standard Austin king pins? I am guessing at Bonneville there is little turning involved usually but the spindles really look tiny on the bigger wheels. Also what is the front spring? It seems a standard straight axle with a very arched spring?

Simon

Bantam was built in Pennsylvania USA . Front suspension is Bantam , the spring is mono leaf I think for Model A standard , not arched .. Turning at B ville mainly after run getting off track . Steering radius restricted so you can,t turn to sharp and flip ..  Caster is about 8 to 10 degrees back for better tracking . The frame is below the spring with spacer to lower front of car .. Wheels original  15" and no frt.  brakes , mechnical rear with hand lever ..  Been watching tv series about Queen Victoria , she is great  !!    STEVE
<p><br></p>

.jpg   altaguide.jpg (Size: 107.5 KB / Downloads: 336) I made some new valve guides for an Alta engine and had to source Mehanite material for them.  It is a cast iron with some sort of production method that leaves spheroidal graphite in the iron.  Might help if anyone wants to do the same job to their car.
(24-12-2018, 09:23 AM)cardiffrob Wrote: I made some new valve guides for an Alta engine and had to source Mehanite material for them.  It is a cast iron with some sort of production method that leaves spheroidal graphite in the iron.  Might help if anyone wants to do the same job to their car.

Great job  , this forum loaded with how to about whatever . I have picked up some good tips already  .   STEVE
<p><br></p>
Upgrading your engine with a turbo/methanol will certainly separate your block from its crankcase.
There is a 7 over here that's very fast and reliable,It's blown with a Lancia volume supercharger (To about 30 psi) ,runs on methanol,and is very well developed.
To achieve this it is bolted through top to bottom and dry decked.
Does anyone have any under bonnet photo's of Miss Green to post ?