The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
turbo with port injection on methanol
HI,    Steve here  in Tucson AZ . USA . I race 1940 American Bantam with '37 English Austin engine at Bonneville Salt Flats .  Many  mods to engine which I will cover as this goes . This winter I am updating to Garrett gt12 turbo with port fuel injection running methanol fuel .  There will be air to air intercooler in front of radiator and 2 injectors , (1 each port) from underneath pointing at valve with ECU  (engine control unit) controlling all the functions, ignition, ( deadfire , with flywheel  60 -2  teeth  notched for signal from magnet in crankcase ) , and  fuel delivery .   I was using (2)   1  1/4" S/U with modifications , ( light spring , larger vent holes , butterfly and shaft trimmed , piston rising out of throat ) .   Valves are from Ford Ztec  ,smaller stems , stainless , lighter.  Followers drilled , shortened , no lock nut ,small head  .  Valve retainers titanium .   Hadley crank and rods , ali. oil pan , electric water and oil pump , adjustable timing gear , stock flywheel and clutch , 4 spd. close ratio transmisson . [img]dscn 1966jpg[/img]
<p><br></p>
Welcome aboard the Friends Group Steve, I'd be particularly interested about your Zetec valve mod, I'm running a supercharger on my single seater and tried to stick to the mods in the '50's and '60's 750 Bulletins which ultimately form the 'Competition Handbook" we used to prepare the motor. Some more info here --> http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...gle+seater

Pictures of your car would be great, as would pictures of the modifications - adjustable timing gear, electric oil pump ?? etc, etc

Aye
Greig
Sunny South Africa
[Image: Steve-Anderson-car.jpg]
Is this a photo of your Bantam Steve?
Adjustable timing gear made from 2 gears , cut inner center half out of one so leaving step on outer edge ,  for second gear cut outer half with opposite step to fit first one , drill / tap 3 places with adjustment slot for screws/bolts . Mark as desired for advance ( lower rpm power ) and retard for (upper rpm power) ..  Electric oil pump from racing rear end (differential) ,  look under Nascar used parts , makes 50 psi. , pump to circulate oil for cooling .. Tap sump for intake oil , outgoing oil to wherever you want , one way check valve at pressure side . I have gear internal pump , and ali.  sump .  I have  Hadley crank with  timing cover to filter oil and  put oil to front of crank . Oiling system also supplies oil to lifter/follower side cover and cam center bushing from outside crankcase.  STEVE

(22-12-2018, 12:15 PM)Douglas Anderson Wrote: [Image: Steve-Anderson-car.jpg]
Is this a photo of your Bantam Steve?     YES
<p><br></p>
That looks a bit naughty! I love the wheel discs the flamework on the bonnet (hood) side.
What sort of camshaft are you running?
Cam has more than .285 lift , more than 285 degrees seat to seat .  STEVE

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   DSCN1927 - Copy.JPG (Size: 119 KB / Downloads: 551)
.jpg   DSCN1988.JPG (Size: 122.58 KB / Downloads: 551)
.jpg   DSCN1788.JPG (Size: 127.54 KB / Downloads: 551)
.jpg   DSCN1789.JPG (Size: 127.1 KB / Downloads: 552)
.jpg   DSCN1790.JPG (Size: 120.26 KB / Downloads: 551)
.jpg   DSCN1926.JPG (Size: 121.17 KB / Downloads: 550)
.jpg   DSCN1956 - Copy.JPG (Size: 121.96 KB / Downloads: 551)
Hi Steve, most interesting car! Have you don't anything to help keep the block attached to the crankcase?

What do people in America make of the car? I was pondering that the other day as I have been watching lots of Roadkill Garage and other shows of that type. All those massive engines producing huge amounts of power and torque. I don't know much about Bonneville so maybe a car like yours isn't so odd?

Also I think that's the shorted spark plug lead I have ever seen on your number 4 cylinder there!

Simon
Hi Steve,
The whole project looks great,
Will you need to cut back on valve over lap and compression ratio with going to a turbo,
What figures have you been achieving on a two way run with the current set up
Also what are the HP and Torque figures now and what are you hoping to achieve in the future

Great to see out side the Box thinking

Keep it up
Colin
NZ
(22-12-2018, 09:22 PM)jansens Wrote: Hi Steve, most interesting car! Have you don't anything to help keep the block attached to the crankcase?

What do people in America make of the car? I was pondering that the other day as I have been watching lots of Roadkill Garage and other shows of that type. All those massive engines producing huge amounts of power and torque. I don't know much about Bonneville so maybe a car like yours isn't so odd?

Also I think that's the shorted spark plug lead I have ever seen on your number 4 cylinder there!

Simon
Head studs ,  washers  (flat )  and nuts (12 point) are from ARP . no stretch like grade 5  , washers are maybe ground flat so no squish there . When I tighten the head  nuts they don't become loose later . All the threads in engine are replaced with US thread inserts , no problems so far .. The head sealing is my main concern so far , I use English std. head gasket , with Copper Coat spray sealer .  With the turbo pressure ( 5# boost initally) I will watch head more ..  The car generates a lot of interest from some  , they are amazed that I would use a engine this old and small , (060 overbore) .. There probably is not another in USA .. Certainly not doing this !!   Roadkill one of my favorites , Yes Bigger is the mind set here mostly ..  I inspect cars at B ville for safety  , the variety of vehicles is amazing ..  All sizes and  configurations .. Ignition is Electromotive dead fire set up , signal comes from flywheel setup .. Plug wires are the best ..

(22-12-2018, 10:07 PM)Colin Reed Wrote: Hi Steve,
The whole project looks great,
Will you need to cut back on valve over lap and compression ratio with going to a turbo,
What figures have you been achieving on a two way run with the current set up
Also what are the HP and Torque figures now and what are you hoping to achieve in the future

Great to see out side the Box thinking

Keep it up
Colin
NZ

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)