The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven

Having split block from crankcase to install a silicon gasket, valve seats were re-ground and tappets adjusted. For a good fifty miles the Ruby was nearly silent and almost totally  oil tight, splendid. Then suddenly a dreadful knocking starts, fortunately barely a hundred yards from the house, so straight back home, and immediately suspecting a run big end, drop sump and split big end bearings. As the picture shows, no evidence whatsoever of big end problems, so further diagnosis required. A couple of phone conversations suggested the next possible noise source might be to do with the camshaft. Before removing manifolds to reveal the valve chest cover, I idly poked a screwdriver between the block and the dynamo bracket. I then picked up a square headed object from the floor, and said several very rude words. The forum over the years has had numerous suggestions as to the replacement of the original, with alan headed set bolts etc, but all seem to require engine out in order to drill and tap the crank case. Any thoughts? I am beginning to fear that those damn Morris's might actually win a prize on Ian Grace's Rally this year, Seven numbers are reducing daily.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Steve kay - 23-08-2021, 02:00 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM