The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Jack Reacher says "Hope for the best but plan for the worst". With my long 8 day journey to Santiago de Compostelle taking place in just over a weeks time I have been trying to cover every eventuality. Should a half shaft break I will be carrying a spare but I thought I'd best check that things could be easily taken apart should I be stranded at the roadside. One of the things was to make sure the nearside spring pin was not seized to the backplate. Having cleaned off some of the grime I tried to undo the cotter nut, but it wasn't there. It seems that in the dim and distant past someone had probably replaced it and had put it back the wrong way round. Rather than putting the nut on they'd secured it with a blob of weld, which took me the best part of two hours to grind away sufficiently so I could drive out the cotter. At least I've found it now with enough time to spare to make good rather than being stuck somewhere remote with no means of removing it. Lucky.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Reckless Rat - 11-09-2019, 06:48 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM