The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I used to love a Fray Bentos Snake and Pigmy pie.

Today I got the cars out to have a shuffle round in the garage.  The cylinder head of the rebuilt Ulster engine was weeping slightly so I torqued it down and took the car for a run up and down the village.   It was going much better than last time I ran it, probably because the head was tightened down, and it accelerated up the hill out of the village in top.
I decided to test it out on Sneck Yate, the 1 in 4 hill from the village to the top of the Sutton Bank escarpment.  I was pleased to get to within 50 yards of the hairpin at the top in 2nd gear, being a high 'Andes' ratio on the 3 speed box.
Having satisfied myself that the engine is producing a reasonable amount of power, I turned round and made the descent down the bank.  This can be a daunting prospect in an Austin 7.   Keeping the car in first gear, it would have made the full descent without touching the brakes but I went  into 2nd and with the help of the brakes made a safe descent, accompanied by a nice crackle from the exhaust.    

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Malcolm Parker - 09-05-2024, 02:50 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM