The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Austin Sevens were notably present at yesterday's VSCC Scatter Rally/Rali Gwasgarog, amongst entries and transport for organisers and marshals. The weather was good, no cars blew up, and everyone made thier way back to the Scout Hut at Presteigne. Sevens failed to grab the major prizes, but Val and Neil Brookes from Plymouth, well known for their much used Gordon Egland took the prize for the furthest competitor. Yesterday saw Jon Yeeles winning a one off award for The Cleanest Austin Seven Engine, his Chummy causing the scrutineer to complain that he should have been warned to wear dark glasses when inspecting under the bonnet. Jon said that he was now worried about the possibility of rusty sump bolts, not a threat to the underside of the organiser's Ruby. To the usual VSCC and Inter- Register suspects, many thanks, maybe we'll meet again in the freezing cold and pitch dark at Leominster for the Measham next year. I had no time to take snaps, hopefully someone might have some to post.
On the basis I knew todays weather was going to be horrid, I decided yesterday I would go and see a few of my mates at 'Klondye', the home of the North Staffs and Cheshire Traction Engine Club. I thought a run out in a seven might be nice. After asking my daughter for permission. I decided to go in hers. Its stood for about 8 weeks after a plug change. And wouldn't fire. In danger of a flat battery I put petrol down all 4 plug holes it fired instantly. Hmm.

Took the cat to the vet
[Image: 008_1816.jpg]

Then headed over and parked next to my mate Pauls RN.

[Image: 008_1817.jpg]

[Image: 008_1818.jpg]

[Image: 008_1819.jpg]

[Image: 008_1820.jpg]

[Image: 008_1821.jpg]
(26-10-2018, 06:08 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: Thanks Ruairidh, I like the soft touch however, I think my present pack is "XL Black Rhino Nitrile" we are the best I've tried yet.

"The soft touch...." That reminds me, the first time i came across "surgical" gloves being used in car work was at a meeting where, upon enquiring what a certain doctor was wearing while attempting to fix his Frazer Nash, he replied, "Oh, the last time I used these was to inspect the condition of Mrs Hemingway's pregnancy."
Thanks Hedd for the comparison

For decades of ownership neither my father or self realised that there was a predecessor to the RP.
The subtle difference in rear guards must catch out many.
Some features of the Seven were truly primitive ie the door strap. In windy Wellingtom where they used to erect ropes to help pedestrians cross the street, the straps had a short life! The barn size of the door did not help.
The way the door panel fits over the winder cove rseems like an afterthought, and apparently was. 
I gather the gearboxes had a cover originally, but is there any other make similarly exposed? When our family car progressed to a heaterless "modern" in 1957 we found long winter drives very cold!
My father used to lament the loss of visibility. Dont know what he would make of moderns with vast A pillar(s). I suspect he would have run down even more pedestrians than I do in the wife's car.
    I'm in the middle of testing a 22FZ for an owner, after a successful run I removed the float chamber top to see this, it's amazing how Sevens run with bits missing.
(13-10-2019, 09:06 AM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: On the basis I knew todays weather was going to be horrid, I decided yesterday I would go and see a few of my mates at 'Klondye', the home of the North Staffs and Cheshire Traction Engine Club. I thought a run out in a seven might be nice. After asking my daughter for permission. I decided to go in hers. Its stood for about 8 weeks after a plug change. And wouldn't fire. In danger of a flat battery I put petrol down all 4 plug holes it fired instantly. Hmm.

Hedd, I have a 1950's Austin that behaves like that. Use it every day and there's no problem. Leave it ten days or a few weeks and it cranks an awful long time before starting. A desert spoonful of petrol in the air intake and it starts first time.
(14-10-2019, 06:43 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:
(13-10-2019, 09:06 AM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: On the basis I knew todays weather was going to be horrid, I decided yesterday I would go and see a few of my mates at 'Klondye', the home of the North Staffs and Cheshire Traction Engine Club. I thought a run out in a seven might be nice. After asking my daughter for permission. I decided to go in hers. Its stood for about 8 weeks after a plug change. And wouldn't fire. In danger of a flat battery I put petrol down all 4 plug holes it fired instantly. Hmm.

Hedd, I have a 1950's Austin that behaves like that. Use it every day and there's no problem. Leave it ten days or a few weeks and it cranks an awful long time before starting. A desert spoonful of petrol in the air intake and it starts first time.

I always prime the carb on my RP before the first cold start of the day. Full choke and it fires and runs promptly every time, even if it has been left for a while.
So do I David...... and a couple of turns on the handle
Now that my new exhaust has arrived, I spent this afternoon fitting it. Also fitted a new pin and bush to the one track rod end, as there was some play on it. Not a lot, but I thought it best to do it now rather than leave it. Then gave the interior a good vacuum out and cleaned all the upholstery. It's surprising just how messy the Motoring Dog can be! His dog blanket is now in the wash.

It the weather isn't pouring with rain tomorrow, I shall wash all three vehicles.
(19-10-2019, 06:31 PM)David Stepney Wrote: Now that my new exhaust has arrived, I spent this afternoon fitting it. Also fitted a new pin and bush to the one track rod end, as there was some play on it. Not a lot, but I thought it best to do it now rather than leave it. Then gave the interior a good vacuum out and cleaned all the upholstery. It's surprising just how messy the Motoring Dog can be! His dog blanket is now in the wash.

It the weather isn't pouring with rain tomorrow, I shall wash all three vehicles.

David, maybe you could fit the dog into the washing schedule as well as a sort of preemptive strike?
Cheers

Mark