Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy 1928 or 1929?
The body is from alumunium? Does that say anything about model?
No, aluminium bodies were the norm through to early 1931.

If you can't find the number stamped on the chassis frame, see if you can find the car number, which should be stamped into the propshaft tunnel, just behind the gearbox. I suspect you car should read A8 and up to four numbers.
has it got vents in the sides?

Sounds like its def A8-or A9- series and the spec. will noted in the Austin ledgers. I'm going next week so can have a look if you confirm it...
(16-09-2018, 07:05 PM)JonE Wrote: has it got vents in the sides?

Sounds like its def A8-or A9-  series and the spec. will noted in the Austin ledgers. I'm going next week so can have a look if you confirm it...

Yes there is vends. From what i could learn so far it might be 1929.

More specifically the AE model?

If I understand correct it must be AE if I look at the "looks" or design:
1. Vents...because before oct 1929 there was no vents?
2. Brakes at back, handbrake front...because from 1930 joint brakes?
3. The lights on AD was on windscreen whereas AE moved to front?

Looking at the "numbers" I get the following:

The chassis nr according to licence disk (I will make double sure over weekend on chassis itself) is C8753.

This is obviously not correct because there should be 5 nrs and not 4. But the Registrar in SA might have mistakenly used the car nr in the place of the chassis nr on the licence disk.

OPTION 1

Therefore if it is A9 - 8753 then it would not be an AE but rather an AD? Because A9 was build between June to Oct 1929.

OPTION 2

THE AE model only started in Oct 1929 but was called the B series on chassis nrs?

If it is then B - 8753 then looking at and comparing A7AC surviving register the date is somewhere during April 1930?

OPTION 3:

If its only a typing error and chassis nr is 8753x then Between chassis 87434 and 97332 wil make it a A9 series chassis.

Series A9 date from June to Oct 1929 and therefore makes it an AD again?

My own conclusion on my limited knowledge andcresearch so far is to go with Option 2 that its an AE and 1930 model? 

Any further inputs or advice would be appreciated.

I think the crucial bit is as Mike says, the stamp on the propshaft tunnel, and having a look for chassis number on the carburettor side, in front or just behind the rear engine mount...
Unless the car has been heavily modified with earlier style wings, the likely options are:

1. Chassis number in the 87,000 area making it around June 1929 with a very late A8 Car Number or very early A9 number

2. Car Number A7 8753 which would make it December 1928

3. Car Number A8 8753 making it around May 1929

4. Car Number A9 8753 making it around September 1929, and one of the very last cars with these wings.

It is not an AE (B base plate, introduced at chassis 96867) which would have the later wings.
If it is not an AE, does that means the lights is in the wrong place? Because on mine it is in the front and not at the windscreen?

Or was there AD with lights in front?

Sorry for asking stupid questions but if I dont ask I wil not learn.
Is the floor flat where the rear passengers would put their feet? The AE's have a swaged circular ring in the floor. One eache side of the transmission tunnel.

Out of interest. My AE retains 90% of its original floor. It is stapmed with a body number on thw tunnel behind the handbrake cover. But there is no letters. Just a number
Surely a door to door width measurement would tell pretty quickly that it was an AD? Wasn't the AE a couple of inches wider?
This issue highlights one of the reasons why I am reluctant to use the Austin letter codes to identify cars. It works for most cars, but in this case the pre-Sept 1928 and post-Sept 1928 bodies were totally different, yet both used the AD code! Your forward-mounted headlights are correct for a post-Sept 1928 car.