Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy 1928 or 1929?

Good day. I'm from South Africa and recently bought a Chummy. Can someone please assist in confirming the year, and maybe reasons for learning purposes?
I'm going to stick my neck out and say 29, it has the taller radiator, the larger headlights, one piece windscreen  although in the colonies we had one piece earlier. It probably has coil ignition and glove boxes each side of  the dash panel as well. cheers  Russell
Finding and identifying in particular the Chassis Number together with the Car Number, Engine Number and Rear Axle manufacturing date will assist in confirming the year of your car and its major components. The following Austin 7 Clubs Association PDF link should help in locating these numbers on your car:

http://a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf
The car is undoubtedly a 1929 model, but it could date from late 1928. The taller plated radiator was introduced in August 1928, followed by coil ignition in September, whilst the early-style wings as seen on your car were replaced by a heavier style in September 1929.
(16-09-2018, 11:13 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: The car is undoubtedly a 1929 model, but it could date from late 1928. The taller plated radiator was introduced in August 1928, followed by coil ignition in September, whilst the early-style wings as seen on your car were replaced by a heavier style in September 1929.

Thank you. Do you perhaps have a photo showing the "heavier style"?
[Image: 158_20_02_18_2_52_25.jpeg]

This shows the style introduced in September 1929; a very similar style but with a raised rib round the edge of the wing came in January 1930. Note the larger valence by the headlamp at the front, and the longer rear wings,
The engine nr is M149277.

That is all i could find for now. What year does it refer to?
That engine number is early 1932.
(16-09-2018, 05:18 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: That engine number is early 1932.

Hi Mike. Thank you for your advice. The engine nr and Vin nr I got from the registration papers, need to double check if correct.

According to papers the VIN nr is C8753 (or os this only for South Africa?)

On the vehicle itself i could only find the following this afternoon:
Rear Axle: 5167 (no other nrs visible)
Head: 1A38J5
Hmmm! I would suggest there is a digit missing from that number. 87xx dates from early 1925, whereas 87xxx is from June 1929 and would be a match for the car you have.