Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy 1928 or 1929?
that IS interesting as it's such a major but obvious change in the transition period.
And therefore, suggests that there needs to be AD(1) and AD(2) identified (or simply AD and 'late AD' as per the late R Saloon) for discussion/research purposes, accepting the fact that they would have only been referred to as AD by the factory...
Presumably the changeover is more or less consistent with the switch from mag to coil?. I have noticed the later AD's have overlapping doors rather than a T piece bead.
Yes, Jon, the late R-Type saloons are another example of a major change retaining the same letter code. And, as Hedd points out, these later AD bodies have the door overlap as part of the outer skin rather than a separate moulding. They also have a totally different scuttle in order to fit the raised bonnet and larger radiator. I haven't researched the change, but assume to later style door coincides with the raised radiator in August 1928 (which preceded the change to coil ignition in September); from memory the relevant chassis numbers were something like 67000 and 69000 respectively.
(16-09-2018, 08:58 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: My AE is stamped with a body number on the tunnel behind the handbrake cover. But there is no letters. Just a number.

Just checked this on an RK - the same - no prefix letters. Which DID come in with RL I think. Wonder which one on the tourer side?
My RL is certainly stamped RL to prefix the numbers
Both my RKs and my B-Type coupe had the complete Car Number (including the A or B prefix) on the tunnel, which was why I was suggesting that number might give a clue to the chummy's age.
Ah! Mike - can you let me know your prefixed numbers, as there is obviously crossover here then as well! I'll find out the ones I've checked (hadn't been that interested in the numbers, just whether they had or hadn't got letters!) and will be subsequently interesting to see if the RFs and tourers show the same pattern. A new thread perhaps?
It was all a long time ago! I do remember the coupe's number - B 270; and yes, this was the Car Number, not B-type coupe body number, unless they were coincidentally the same! The RKs were a mid-1929, so either late A8 or early A9 number, and a 1930 with original oil gauge rather than button, so in the B1 series.
are those cars still around and perhaps traceable to check? It would good to find ANY evidence of letters...
The last I heard, the coupe was in Japan, the '29 was still around (I think in Lincolnshire) and the '30 had vanished (no longer recorded on the DVLA database, so presumably re-registered  Angry)