The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hanging a car from the roof.
(03-09-2018, 10:25 PM)Greig Smith Wrote: .......I'm only half way down under in South Africa,...

I'll get that right that next time!
My first thought was Hedd has had an accident with his chain and HE is now hanging suspended from the ceiling,..
[Image: 008_1690.jpg]

Click on pic for bigger picture

Here we go. Yes the cable catches when its all the way up, but at that point its 15 foot in the air, so no problem.

The tirfer is attached to the steelwork forming the central wall of the shed via a chain. What I call a snatch block hung off the portal frame against a joist so it cannot slip downhill via a strap sat on some carpet. Getting it up there was less exciting than I had anticipated.

I carried out 2 proof tests. First picking up the trailer (about same weight as the car), 2nd picking up something rather heavier. Lots of choices in the shed.

Nice control up and down with a 2 foot lever on the tirfer.

Home made lifting beam using lorry exhaust clamps, some penny washers. 100mm screws, some timber and some glue.

Straps to wheels are simply ratchet straps and some D links to tidy things up around the wheels.

It is now sat about 12 inches in the air, and will stay that way for a week. I will inspect everything before it needs to go up in the air, next monday, when what lives in the shed returns.
so is it going to be all weight on wheel spokes in the final storage, or will it be on the chassis or axles then?

Wish I had a shed like that.
I agree that’s a proper man shed!
(04-09-2018, 02:03 PM)JonE Wrote: so is it going to be all weight on wheel spokes in the final storage, or will it be on the chassis or axles then?

Wish I had a shed like that.

Anytime my car doesn't have all the weight on the spokes it probably means it's either on axle stands for maintenance or that I've rolled it.

C
There we go, a week of hanging 1 foot off the floor showed no side effects to the lifting tackle. So now it is in its finished position

Click for a bigger picture

[Image: 008_1693.jpg]