The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan pulley assembly.
In those circs Mark I would try to lose a few mm off the fan or pulley assembly (pref not an original sports one) somewhere - as you suggest, if you can recess the fan bolts it may do the trick. I'd suggest 1/8" clearance as a target.
(21-08-2018, 02:50 PM)Mark Dymond Wrote: how confident are you that the thread is imperial (3/16 BSF I presume)

Hi Mark,

I understand the correct threads are 3/16 BSF (ignore my reference to Whitworth earlier on, that is not correct) and that 2BA differs by about half a thread per inch, which is why it will fit.

I will leave it to those who can work these things out properly to confirm or correct that for me please.
(21-08-2018, 07:16 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:
(21-08-2018, 02:50 PM)Mark Dymond Wrote: how confident are you that the thread is imperial (3/16 BSF I presume)

Hi Mark,

I understand the correct threads are 3/16 BSF (ignore my reference to Whitworth earlier on, that is not correct) and that 2BA differs by about half a thread per inch, which is why it will fit.

I will leave it to those who can work these things out properly to confirm or correct that for me please.

Yep, 3/16 BSF. 2BA is very near enough!

Steve
With respect to red fans. Dad had a number of the Remax spares chests through his hands. And I still have one. The fans in them were always painted red.
(21-08-2018, 09:24 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote: With respect to red fans. Dad had a number of the Remax spares chests through his hands. And I still have one. The fans in them were always painted red.
Hedd - surely not relevant?  In all my postings, unless I specify otherwise, I've  only ever referred to genuine Austin bits.  Cheers,  Bill in Oz
(22-08-2018, 12:42 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote:
(21-08-2018, 09:24 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote: With respect to red fans. Dad had a number of the Remax spares chests through his hands. And I still have one. The fans in them were always painted red.
Hedd - surely not relevant?  In all my postings, unless I specify otherwise, I've  only ever referred to genuine Austin bits.  Cheers,  Bill in Oz

Its perfectly relevant Bill. It explains why there are a lot of Austin 7's with red fans.
(22-08-2018, 09:59 AM)Hedd_Jones Wrote:
(22-08-2018, 12:42 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote:

Its perfectly relevant Bill. It explains why there are a lot of Austin 7's with red fans.
Hedd - I'm aware there are plenty with Red fans, as said I think you'll find Austin started with the 4-bladers, but what Remax or any particular owner has done doesn't prove what all fans were.  I was talking of original installations, sorry.   Cheers,  Bill
I paint the tips of my red fan blades yellow so I can see them flying past my fingers while I do silly adjustments with the engine running...
(24-08-2018, 05:25 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I paint the tips of my red fan blades yellow so I can see them flying past my fingers while I do silly adjustments with the engine running...

Ha ha, I thought that's why people painted them red Duncan!
I recall a tale of a Lady and her dog visiting Longbridge and the dog had it's tackle painted red.