The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan pulley assembly.
Can someone please confirm exactly how the fan pulley assembly fits together? I seem to have the parts below. I am guessing the steel washer goes against the pulley as it fits over the shaft. The brass washer then goes between it and the nut which is done up hard to the shoulder so the split pin holes line up? Also can someone tell me what thread the little bolts to hold the fan on are?

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=2]

Thanks!

Simon
Starting at the rear it goes washer - felt - long flanged bush - pulley - short flanged bush - thrust washer - nut - split pin.
(My source is John Platt's catalogue).

Have you got any bushes in that pulley Simon?

I'm sorry I don't recall the screw thread, I would urge you though to make sure the threads are sound and possibly use some easy-to-undo thread locking solution, as it's quite annoying when the fan starts working loose and scoring circles in your radiator. Some day I'll figure out how to balance the fan properly, that might help.

Finally do take all possible care tightening the rear spindle into the cast aluminium dynamo housing, the latter cracks and breaks in this area very easily.
(19-08-2018, 12:01 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Starting at the rear it goes washer - felt - long flanged bush - pulley - short flanged bush - thrust washer - nut - split pin.
(My source is John Platt's catalogue).

Have you got any bushes in that pulley Simon?

I'm sorry I don't recall the screw thread, I would urge you though to make sure the threads are sound and possibly use some easy-to-undo thread locking solution, as it's quite annoying when the fan starts working loose and scoring circles in your radiator. Some day I'll figure out how to balance the fan properly, that might help.

Finally do take all possible care tightening the rear spindle into the cast aluminium dynamo housing, the latter cracks and breaks in this area very easily.
Thanks Chris, I need to get a copy of that book. I have the Austin ones and they do show the parts but not the assembly order. Washer under the felt makes sense now I look at it.

The fan is a new one. A friend had an original explode on him so a new one seemed prudent. I would hope they are fairly well balanced new. I keep meaning to look in my Original Austin 7 book to see if they were painted.

Simon
As far as I know the fans were painted red.
Bolts are 2BA, I was just looking at them as I'm planning on replacing them so they are flush with the front of the fan. I cant tell why, but I have 0mm clearance between the bolt heads and the radiator core Huh
(20-08-2018, 06:31 AM)Mark Dymond Wrote: Bolts are 2BA, I was just looking at them as I'm planning on replacing them so they are flush with the front of the fan. I cant tell why, but I have 0mm clearance between the bolt heads and the radiator core Huh

Do please let us know how you get on with that Mark, I've been comtemplating similar.
(20-08-2018, 06:31 AM)Mark Dymond Wrote: Bolts are 2BA, I was just looking at them as I'm planning on replacing them so they are flush with the front of the fan. I cant tell why, but I have 0mm clearance between the bolt heads and the radiator core Huh

That is much too close- is this a standard assembly ?

Regarding fan blade colour- both my four blade fans showed a trace of red paint but the three two blade fans don't show any sign of being painted.

Cheers, Tony.
The thread is actually Whitworth but 2BA is a very close alternative.

There are several types of fan pulley all of which are different lengths - can you post a photo of yours?
I very much doubt if Sir Herbert would have spent the extra thruppence on painting anything that didn't need it - and if it did need it, it would almost certainly have been black!
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
The fan pulley shown in the photograph looks like the type type fitted to early coil engines (28-32). The later one, for coil engined cars from 1932 to 1939 is shorter. Given that yours is too close to the radiator suggests that you have the wrong one. However, the fan spindles are also different (long & short)!

Might I suggest that you need the following:

BD220
BD221

here: http://a7c.co.uk/spares.php#fangear