The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radiator mascots & other cosmetic frippery
(30-07-2018, 09:25 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I have had this radiator mascot for over fifty tears; I am still hopeful of having a suitable car for it one day!

Surely it would have to be something American then. Isn't that a model of a WW2 Mustang?
This is one I made for the Rosengart Van , it’s French ,it’s slow and has the nicks
Name of lescargot.
Carved it in a block of wax and cast it using the lost wax process.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Formidable!
I'd have offered to cast one for you Ruairidh, but I burned the bottom out of my makeshift forge on the last inlet manifold. Started loosing heat...

The one with the hole in could be repaired if anyone wants to play with them?

After a little fettling they look like this...

Next I want to make a badge...

Hedd... I may need the number of your local forger... (ahem!)

...and has anyone got a 3d printer?
(30-07-2018, 09:58 PM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: This is one I made for the Rosengart Van , it’s French ,it’s slow and has the nicks
Name of lescargot.
Carved it in a block of wax and cast it using the lost wax process.

Some years ago a cartoon appeared in a Jowett club mag. it depicted the rear of a twin cyl 7 or 8hp "10 cwt" van, with large signwriting "Abominable Slow Van".
Many users of the Forum are sufficently old to get it.
(30-07-2018, 11:04 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: I'd have offered to cast one for you Ruairidh, but I burned the bottom out of my makeshift forge on the last inlet manifold. Started loosing heat...

The one with the hole in could be repaired if anyone wants to play with them?

After a little fettling they look like this...

Next I want to make a badge...

Hedd... I may need the number of your local forger... (ahem!)

...and has anyone got a 3d printer?
I have a 3D printer I made and I actually have some wax filament to try in it one day but so far haven't had the need to cast anything so I haven't tried printing/casting with it. The printer has spent most of the last year printing a working Enigma machine (which I haven't finished yet). I did 3D print a temporary ring type gun sight that I stuck on the radiator cap, mainly to annoy a friend. I have a nice Boyce motometer that will actually go there in practice.

Simon
Wee Happy (the Chummy) sports this on her radiator nowadays - have had it for years adorning various dashboards - "Sexy Suzy, the sensible duck" (why sensible you may ask? - umbrella against both rain & sun is pretty sensible in my book! ;-)) - & funnily enough more than a few have asked if it's original  Big Grin

& Myrtle the C-Cab well .......

.jpeg   image.jpeg (Size: 77.9 KB / Downloads: 214)
Paul
On the first day God created the Austin 7, then he rested
Unfortunately so, hence  the front axle eyes and steering arm were never upgraded.
Hello all just a word of warning about fitting mascots to the front of vehicles in the UK. It is over 20 years since I was a boy in blue but I don't think the law has changed. Certain mascots can be considered dangerous if mounted right at the front. They had to be at least 18 inches or more back from the front. Now it will more than likely be an equiverlant metric measurement.

John Mason
The Road Vehicles (construction and Use) Regulations has a section on mascots and their safety but nothing in those regs applies to a vehicle first used before 1st October 1937. Thus only very late A7s will fall into the section covered.

However given the current litigation culture should an exempt vehicle cause injury as a result of a fitted mascot the ambulance chasing legal eagles may have a field day... in such cases the law would normally apply the reason of the man on the number 52 bus.