The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headlamp Glass
    Photo of NOS R47 Headlight glass
Good morning. I have had the time to refer to my Lucas catalogues and the glass fitted to the R47 is described as the 'Difusa' (which has a light 'frosted' effect). The diameter is given as 6 9/16".

Many years ago I was told that the lamps fitted to the Austin 7 did not have the 'Difusa' transfer in the centre, unlike similar lamps fitted to other models.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Certainly the lamps on that photo of GO 6032 do not have the Difusa transfer.
I can only say 'wow'! What an impressive set of replies from all concerned. Especially impressed with the NOS parts Chris!

Don't want to press my luck, but can anyone confirm the original sealing arrangement of lens to lamp rim?
I understand clear silicone sealant is a fairly popular modern 'fix' but I suppose the originals would have had a flat rubber sealing ring?
Hello Chris. I use a high grab adhesive available from Wickes in a tube for mastic guns. However beware silicon type sealers as some attack the silvering of the reflectors , turning them black.

If I am manufacturing lamps to original spec them I use an 'O' ring material 4 or 5mm dia, available in lengths from ebay sellers as this is the nearest to the original fitment. Alternatively Willie McKenzie might have them.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
A shot of the headlamps on my RP recently upgraded using Stuart's rims, lenses and reflectors. The stippled effect is on the inside of the glass:
I am very happy with the result.

[Image: 20180323_140842_1.jpg]

Please no comments about the crap paint job - it was temporary and has now been re-done!
Smile
That looks good to me!
Tony is correct in the nomenclature, as I have done some work with residential glass. It is molded pattern glass rather than frosted. Frosted is created by sand blasting or other wise using sanding paste. Molding is a process using a pattern and pouring the molten glass on the pattern. The latter lets more light pass through than with frosted. Patterns are only on one side, the other side being usually flat.
(26-06-2018, 09:21 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: I have always thought they were frosted and when new had a "Lucas diffuser" sticker in the centre

Came across these on Ebay. Might interest someone.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-LUCA...SwZA1aUOuT
(27-06-2018, 12:22 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: A shot of the headlamps on my RP recently upgraded using Stuart's rims, lenses and reflectors. The stippled effect is on the inside of the glass:
I am very happy with the result.

Do you know any place where I can buy,Austin 7 headlamp glass,reflectors & outer rims

[Image: 20180323_140842_1.jpg]

Please no comments about the crap paint job - it was temporary and has now been re-done!
Smile