The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headlamp Glass
Were the 'lenses' inĀ the headlamps of a 1930~31 'Ulster' plain / flat glass?
I don't know how many times I've looked at that Autocar review without noticing they differ from my own lamps (which are frosted glass).
Good evening Chris. I would suggest that they were 'stippolite' which is a frosting effect and most certainly flat.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
'Stippolyte' is a modern pattern of obscure glass in a traditional style made by Pilkingtons and readily available from any, local, glass merchant.

http://www.thebbgroup.co.uk/protechglass/stippolyte.htm

It certainly looks the part in my Ulster and SWB Saloon headlamps and also does the job in our Bathroom window!!

Steve
Thanks guys. It might be my imagination but these don't look very stippled though:

.jpg   go6302-2_0.jpg (Size: 132.31 KB / Downloads: 416)
Hi chris,

The original are very simular to the stipulate of today.

But the original pattern was not as heavily patterned, so may appear clear in some pics.

Tony.
I have always thought they were frosted and when new had a "Lucas diffuser" sticker in the centre
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi IAN,

I always called it frosted glass, but nowadays the stipolite tends to get used.

I don't know if LUCAS called them frosted originally, it was the easiest way of describing how they looked.

I think it amounts to the same thing.

And yes I have originals here with the remains of LUCAS defuser stickers on them.

Tony
Thanks to all - my currentĀ 'lenses' are heavily frosted (hand ground) which does the job OK but doesn't look quite right, will check out my local glass merchant next time I'm passing.
Yes Tony I agree we may call then frosted when that is not quite the correct technical name in glass circles, so perhaps stippled is more accurate.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Ian,

To late in the evening to check now. But from memory the original must have been moulded. It is only from memory but I recall on some ive had the frosting didn't always come up to the edge of the glass.
But if moulded, it didn't look obvious. If you see what I meen.

New ones today will be cut from sheet glass, so the stipple or frosting will be totally up to the edge and look cut through.

Tony.