The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trials Tyres
As some have noted, too much grip can be as bad as insufficient grip. Keeping the engine on cam whilst maintaining forward progress is the aim. As any experienced trials driver will confirm, there's rather more to trialling than simply driving up the hills.

Steve
Steve, can we have that translated into Latin and used as a motto on a badge for Seven Trialists.
(29-10-2021, 05:40 PM)dickie65 Wrote: Hi Folks,
Austin Sevens are well suited to green laning.
I have even taken the EB65 down a few interesting sections in Cornwall Devon.

This is Pete Kukla and Andy Storer in PK's Cambridge Special (mid-1970s, before he painted it fire-engine red) mucking about on a Derbyshire hill known as Johnnygate; we were shortly joined by a couple in a Landrover who were 'practising' before setting out on a round-the-world adventure. The couldn't understand how we could get to places the Landrover couldn't!

The most accomplished machine I have ever driven off road was a ww2 jeep. 

Had a play, amazing thing it was, had a guy in a 110 with us, and he wasnt scared of it. Thought i'd got it stuck axle deep in mud way beyond the 110 wouldnt go. Owner just said that id better put it in 4 wheel drive. Up to then we were on the rear axle only!. It drove straight out and onwards
My, Mike, that brings back memories!
(29-10-2021, 07:49 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Steve, can we have that translated into Latin and used as a motto on a badge for Seven Trialists.

according to google and some judicious modding (I might want to try and translate it myself by using ye good old Latin dictionary but that later perhaps): 

conatus plus est quam ascendere montem

there is no fast and simple latin translation for 'trialling'..... I choose "conatus"  because it equals: effort, endeavor, attempt, struggle, trial (sic!)

Cheerio ! 

Therec plus trahens qu am agens montemill I

[size=1]illic plus trahens quam agens montem[size=1]illic plus trahens quam agens montem
[/size]
illic[/size]
(30-10-2021, 06:28 PM)Michael D Wrote:
(29-10-2021, 07:49 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Steve, can we have that translated into Latin and used as a motto on a badge for Seven Trialists.

according to google and some judicious modding (I might want to try and translate it myself by using ye good old Latin dictionary but that later perhaps): 

conatus plus est quam ascendere montem

there is no fast and simple latin translation for 'trialling'..... I choose "conatus"  because it equals: effort, endeavor, attempt, struggle, trial (sic!)
illic

Brillaint, Michael. Must try and remember that. However, I know it's probably been a pretty grim day today but, perhaps, you need to get out more!! Wink

My Latin ended after my first year at Grammar School in 1963 when my Latin master wrote in my end of year report 'Stephen likes Latin, regretfully, Latin does not like him'.

Steve Sad
My Latin master was the school's headmaster and I failed it at "O" level. Seeing him some time later I apologised for failing, to which his reply was " I knew you would" ! However I've always been grateful for the grounding and it has often helped me in grammar and syntax over the years. I even conversed once in very primitive pigeon Latin with a chap in Poland, neither of us being able to speak the other's language!
(30-10-2021, 09:57 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: My Latin master was the school's headmaster and I failed it at "O" level. Seeing him some time later I apologised for failing, to which his reply was " I knew you would" ! However I've always been grateful for the grounding and it has often helped me in grammar and syntax over the years. I even conversed once in very primitive pigeon Latin with a chap in Poland, neither of us being able to speak the other's language!

I gave up Latin the year before O Level. I had to make a choice between Design & Technology O level or Latin. I never regret the decision 

Charles
Well other than knowing the words in Latin to a few Northumbrian folk songs, I’m not sure my Latin O Level has repaid the effort.
Alan Fairless