The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A SPECIAL (S) thought!
I am strongly against segregation, special building has been the mainstay of the A7 world since the inception of the seven, the factory build their own as did the likes of GE and others. The Austin 7 clubs largely grew out of the 750MC movement and many people still involved started out as young men building specials, I include myself here, and I still build specials. I have not seen a perceived hostility toward special building here, yes there are many of us who do not want to see restorable cars broken up to make specials, but there are plenty of parts still available to the prospective builder. There are many traps and lines of mis-information to trip the newcomer, and a lot of us have fallen into them over the years, the thing I see regularly here are experienced members sharing the benefit of their knowledge and experience, not hostility. There has been a lot written about the seven over the years, but people need to look at the context of the time when it was written, if you are building a special you do not NEED to fit Hydraulic brakes, Telescopic dampers, convert to 12V etc, etc, however you may wish to and that is your choice. Personally I think the line starts to get crossed a little when people start to fit modern Japanese engines into an austin seven, but that is my opinion others may think it is a great idea. As mentioned earlier you don't have to read the thread if you don't like it, like wise if you are going a route of building a Caterham with an A7 body you would expect some comments and raised eyebrows.
Zetomagneto is right on the money in my opinion.
Black Art Enthusiast
I think that any group the size of this forum is bound to have the occasional disagreement. It's just a matter of agreeing to disagree and allowing everyone to express their opinions freely.
Jim
I agree. In any case I think you will find that a lot of the A7 racing lot have more standard cars too. I certainly do, and I use them. Special building is, and always has been, an integral part of the 7 movement. True, it’s becoming unacceptable to destroy original cars in their building, and I think you would get that particular hostility from most special builders, these days, as well as from purists, but that doesn’t mean it needs segregating.
As an automobile engineer, I learned my craft on Austin 7 Specials, they interest me still, but so do more original cars. It’s been that way always, why change it?
(14-03-2018, 08:53 PM)AustinWood Wrote: I think that any group the size of this forum is bound to have the occasional disagreement. It's just a matter of agreeing to disagree and allowing everyone to express their opinions freely.

An excellent response.

Arthur

(14-03-2018, 09:12 PM)Alan Wrote: I agree. In any case I think you will find that a lot of the A7 racing lot have more standard cars too. I certainly do, and I use them.  Special building is, and always has been, an integral part of the 7 movement. True, it’s becoming unacceptable to destroy original cars in their building, and I think you would get that particular hostility from most special builders, these days, as well as from purists, but that doesn’t mean it needs segregating.
As an automobile engineer, I learned my craft on Austin 7 Specials, they interest me still, but so do more original cars. It’s been that way always, why change it?

Excellent response no 2!

Arthur

(14-03-2018, 08:47 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: I am strongly against segregation, special building has been the mainstay of the A7 world since the inception of the seven, the factory build their own as did the likes of GE and others. The Austin 7 clubs largely grew out of the 750MC movement and many people still involved started out as young men building specials, I include myself here, and I still build specials. I have not seen a perceived hostility toward special building here, yes there are many of us who do not want to see restorable cars broken up to make specials, but there are plenty of parts still available to the prospective builder. There are many traps and lines of mis-information to trip the newcomer, and a lot of us have fallen into them over the years, the thing I see regularly here are experienced members sharing the benefit of their knowledge and experience, not hostility. There has been a lot written about the seven over the years, but people need to look at the context of the time when it was written, if you are building a special you do not NEED to fit Hydraulic brakes, Telescopic dampers, convert to 12V etc, etc, however you may wish to and that is your choice. Personally I think the line starts to get crossed a little when people start to fit modern Japanese engines into an austin seven, but that is my opinion others may think it is a great idea. As mentioned earlier you don't have to read the thread if you don't like it, like wise if you are going a route of building a Caterham with an A7 body you would expect some comments and raised eyebrows.

The watch word here is choice, and I'm glad to read it, I shall not necessarily heed your response to need, however, I agree with knowledge and experience.

There has been some hostility and I have to repeat, I am not the only one to have noticed it, but I suppose, one has to expect it to a certain extent.

Arthur 
(14-03-2018, 08:47 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: I am strongly against segregation, special building has been the mainstay of the A7 world since the inception of the seven, the factory build their own as did the likes of GE and others. The Austin 7 clubs largely grew out of the 750MC movement and many people still involved started out as young men building specials, I include myself here, and I still build specials. I have not seen a perceived hostility toward special building here, yes there are many of us who do not want to see restorable cars broken up to make specials, but there are plenty of parts still available to the prospective builder. There are many traps and lines of mis-information to trip the newcomer, and a lot of us have fallen into them over the years, the thing I see regularly here are experienced members sharing the benefit of their knowledge and experience, not hostility. There has been a lot written about the seven over the years, but people need to look at the context of the time when it was written, if you are building a special you do not NEED to fit Hydraulic brakes, Telescopic dampers, convert to 12V etc, etc, however you may wish to and that is your choice. Personally I think the line starts to get crossed a little when people start to fit modern Japanese engines into an austin seven, but that is my opinion others may think it is a great idea. As mentioned earlier you don't have to read the thread if you don't like it, like wise if you are going a route of building a Caterham with an A7 body you would expect some comments and raised eyebrows.
Although I am an out and out special builder many threads on this forum have been of value to me that have had nothing directly to do with special building. To me it would be a great shame to have sub divisions. We can and should all appreciate each others particular A7 interest/s and contribute when we have something to share or ask for advice. The forum as it stands keeps us informed about the wider goings on in A7 world wheather of immediate interest or not. To me that is one of its strenghts, a comunity of A7 enthusiasts.
Our strength is that comunity.

Paul N-M
I agree wiv' 'im.
(15-03-2018, 12:42 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I agree wiv' 'im.

So do I !
I don't have anything potentially earth shattering to add. I am relatively new to owning Sevens, though I admit to lusting after one for several decades. I thoroughly enjoy the institutional knowledge wielded by so many here on the Friends Forum. And I enjoy reading the threads and learning about Sevens, whether it is special building or restoring a Swallow. I think that creating sub forums, even one, would have the effect of diluting the bountiful information available on the main Forum. 

Erich in Seattle
The anti segregationists have it! Motion defeated.  Smile
Like Erich,nothing much to add other than there's nothing preventing the OP from opening a thread devoted to his particular build,if others wish to contribute or share their own projects great.
I visit,like many here I guess,a broad compass of forums ranging from VSCC ,FerrariChat, various other single marque sites but non,with the possible exception of the HAMB, welcomes such a diverse group of people with interests ranging across the whole spectrum of automotive interest for a single marque..be it an odd word at auction or an in depth conversation with a Bert Hadley competitor I've found Austin folks to be amongst the friendliest and generous out there... can't see any benefit of segregating that good will and knowledge.